laundry 20 a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I have a small closet 36'' x 36" that will receive one of the combo over and under washer and dryer. I am wondering about the required 20a 125v curcuit since the combo runs on the 30a 240v dryer circuit. I guess the 120 v is still required since code doesnt show an exception but I hate to waste a space in my breaker box. The rec would be completely hidden behind the combo.. I guess i can put it on the side wall in case someone wanted to place something on top of the washer and plug in , but thats not the best place for it if AHJ says I must have a washer 120v in case some one uses a washer only not the combo. Would like some opinions on it

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If anyone still uses them :), there is always the possibilty of the need for a iron.

jetlag

Thanks augie

Thanks augie

If anyone still uses them :), there is always the possibilty of the need for a iron.

I guess the cord might reach if they put the ironing board right by the closet door. Thats not the main wash room it will be downstairs in the basement. So some lucky lady will get to wash /dry 2 loads at once . The combo is in a kitchen closet

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 120v receptacle/circuit is not an option. Besides, some stackables have separate power cords.

Split Bolt

I had a case like that once in an upstairs hall laundry closet. I put the "useless" 20A recept. on the side wall so it could be accessed and that's where the homeowner irons! She was VERY pleased with this arrangement!:)

guschash

Put it on the side and they use it. I had same happen to me with the stackables washer/dryer and I put the receptacle on the side and HO says she plugs the sweeper in to sweep the hall.

gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You still need to install the 120v for the washer as many stack units still need both the 240v and the 120v.

fishin' electrician

Thats not the main wash room it will be downstairs in the basement. So some lucky lady will get to wash /dry 2 loads at once . The combo is in a kitchen closet

If there's already a receptacle on a 20A 120V laundry circuit in the basement, I don't think you're required to add one at the combo unit in kitchen closet unless, of course, the homeowner wants it.

eprice

If there's already a receptacle on a 20A 120V laundry circuit in the basement, I don't think you're required to add one at the combo unit in kitchen closet unless, of course, the homeowner wants it.

I agree with this. 210.52(F) only requires one laundry receptacle and 210.11(C)(2) only requires one 20 amp circuit to supply it. Any other laundry receptacles and circuits are optional.

jetlag

Thanks eprice

Thanks eprice

I agree with this. 210.52(F) only requires one laundry receptacle and 210.11(C)(2) only requires one 20 amp circuit to supply it. Any other laundry receptacles and circuits are optional.

I think the code needs to be revised , I guess they didnt consider a home might have two laundry rooms , if so it stands to reason the washer in each would need a 20 a , even though the code only requires one. Maybe they figure only one is required so if you put in several wash rooms and dont want a place to plug the washer in that is up to you. Either way the code needs to address it someway.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You just need to have a laundry circuit. It doesn't actually have to be where your laundry is. I mean, it should be near some water pipes and drains or something, but you don't have to make sure it is behind whatever washer you are using.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the code needs to be revised , I guess they didnt consider a home might have two laundry rooms , if so it stands to reason the washer in each would need a 20 a , even though the code only requires one. Maybe they figure only one is required so if you put in several wash rooms and dont want a place to plug the washer in that is up to you. Either way the code needs to address it someway.

Read 210.11(C)(2):

(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

What should it be changed to read? As it is worded at least one means you need to have one even if the owner does not intend to have a washer, but it also means there can be more than one.

210.23(A)(1) may require separate circuit be installed - depends on rating of washer - It is good practice to run separate circuit anyhow even if not required.

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Read 210.11(C)(2):

What should it be changed to read? As it is worded at least one means you need to have one even if the owner does not intend to have a washer, but it also means there can be more than one.

210.23(A)(1) may require separate circuit be installed - depends on rating of washer - It is good practice to run separate circuit anyhow even if not required.

Don't forget the ARC-FAULT Breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.