CO/ALR devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Why don't they make a CO/ALR rated GFCI? They have never made one to my knowledge. All they have is the regular old CO/ALR duplex outlets. There must be a reason for this. :confused:

220/221

There must be a reason for this. :confused:

1. Because we don't use AL branch wiring anymore.

2. Because nobody wants to assume the liability. Manufacturers could easily put an AL lug on the device but sure as snit, someone's house would burn down and they would get sued. They'd much rather put the liability on the poor schmucks in the field who have to pigtail the devices with $4 (scam) wirenuts.

John120/240

For replacement applications where the house was wired with aluminum.
Personally I would rather use CU/AL wire nuts & pig tail a short piece of copper to attach to the device.

Split Bolt

1. Because we don't use AL branch wiring anymore.

I think that answered your question. Would you connect aluminum branch circuit wiring to any device and sleep at night? Rated for AL or not, it's poo poo! Isn't there a requirement that you go back every couple of years to re-torque or something in the specs of AL rated devices?

kwired

Electron manager
I think that answered your question. Would you connect aluminum branch circuit wiring to any device and sleep at night? Rated for AL or not, it's poo poo! Isn't there a requirement that you go back every couple of years to re-torque or something in the specs of AL rated devices?

I bet a lot of people would have their calanders marked for the day to do that if they knew about it.:grin:

I always thought re-torquing connections on a regular basis that otherwise were not taken apart for some other reason was a bad thing to do - especially with aluminum conductors.

chevyx92

How does it? It makes no sense since they make a CO/ALR duplex outlet but not a CO/ALR GFCI. I was asking WHY they don't make a CO/ALR GFCI.

Split Bolt

[/B]

I bet a lot of people would have their calanders marked for the day to do that if they knew about it.:grin:

I always thought re-torquing connections on a regular basis that otherwise were not taken apart for some other reason was a bad thing to do - especially with aluminum conductors.

In Arlington County, here in Virginia, condominiums are (or were) REQUIRED by the county to do re-torquing on aluminum feeders every 5 years. I did one once, back in the '90s. It involved coordinating entrance to every unit, removing the panel cover, (most were painted on) re-torquing the AL feeders there and at the meter bank, megging them and noting the readings. Also all of the building electrical as well. It also involved scheduling the power company to kill power and the county inspector to give them the OK to turn it back on. It was such a pain in the butt that I never did that again! I don't remember finding ANYTHING loose! One good thing came out of it though. I padded the price enough to get myself a megger! (Amprobe crank-up) Still have it today! Going back to devices though, I remember reading somewhere that AL device manufacturers require periodic re-torquing on their devices. Does anybody else have any info on that?

MarkyMarkNC

There is such a low demand for them that, even if they did make them, it would cost less to just install a GFCI breaker and CO/ALR devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.