I'm just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I was looking at this guys drawings today and he said he did not know what EGC meant(he been in the business for 10 years)......see what I'm saying.

And yes it was referring to equipment grounding conductor......:grin:

jumper

I catch a lot a flack from SOME people for asking certain questions they think are remedial ....

I would not worry about it for one second. We are all here to learn and share.

If someone does not like your question, it is simple: he/she does not have to read it or respond.

It is the the people who think that they know everything that I worry about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was looking at this guys drawings today and he said he did not know what EGC meant(he been in the business for 10 years)......see what I'm saying.

People may not know what GEC and EGC stand for but they may know what an equipment grounding conductor and a grounding electrode conductor is. Some people may not be familiar with the abbreviation. Before I got on this forum I don't think I used those abbrev. terms either.

Split Bolt

People may not know what GEC and EGC stand for but they may know what an equipment grounding conductor and a grounding electrode conductor is. Some people may not be familiar with the abbreviation. Before I got on this forum I don't think I used those abbrev. terms either.

I agree, I'm constantly learning new abbreviations here! Somebody last week used ISO for an isolated ground circuit and COMPLETELY lost me! I call it an IGC.:)

Rewire

I would be a little nervous if a brain surgeon asked if he should shave the guys head first. Asking questions is a good thing but if my Leadman was in my office every day asking first year apprentice questions then I would have to re evaluate his ability to hold that position

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Expert 's

Expert 's

I catch a lot a flack from SOME people for asking certain questions they think are remedial but I don't always like asking an "office" guy. I would it rather come from an electrician(expert in my mind).

I agree .There are a lot of wise guys out there that think you were born knowing every thing,I have been in the trade more than 20 years and learn something new every day.I have this apprentice that pointed out this site he has 1 year in the trade and told me about this website:grin:he raved how good it is and said you have got to check it out.I am happy I did .I have been on here for only a few weeks and man i have not read the code book this much since i took the masters test in 1995.When i was in high school we were on the 1971 (NEC) NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE that is 11 code books ago .Now the 2011 NEC Will be law here in mass ,1 January 2011 It would be nice if we could read it now But we have to wate till December 2010 with the mass Electrical code( MEC).
Just the other day someone posted (MWBC) I LOOKED AT THAT and was absolutly stumped Multy wire branch circuit. Thanks to 480 sparky for posting the defenition,there is a lot of great info here so you learn a lot about what we do for a living. "THE ONLY STUPID ?? IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK".:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Had one on the plan that I couldn't figure out the other day, MAU and he had it several places. I finally called him and he said, with a little bit of attitude, it's the "Make Up Air". I asked shouldn't that be MUA? Oh yeah.

iwire

Staff member
I would be a little nervous if a brain surgeon asked if he should shave the guys head first. Asking questions is a good thing but if my Leadman was in my office every day asking first year apprentice questions then I would have to re evaluate his ability to hold that position

I agree 100%

cdslotz

I catch a lot a flack from SOME people for asking certain questions they think are remedial but I don't always like asking an "office" guy. I would it rather come from an electrician(expert in my mind).

Hmmmm......I'm an "office guy" AND an electrician. I guess I'm a half-ass expert

gardiner

No matter how much time we put into our careers very few would be experienced in all aspects of the trade and what may be simple even remedial to someone that has done something many times could be impossibly hard to understand by someone having to attempt it for the first time. We learn by asking and listening. I would question the abilities of someone who continually asks the same question or makes the same mistake but would answer the question anyway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No I don't see what you're saying. Trade slang and abbreviations may or may not be understood by all parties in a conversation, the important issue is whether or not the actual item or topic of discussion is understood.

Take this how you will, but this is where you (reflecting back on a good number of your threads) probably differ from the person you are talking about.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree, Roger. The failure to recognize a particular term, as they are sometime elusive, such as UFER, does not concern me nearly as much as the failure to understand the concept once the nomenclature is agreed upon.
There are certain milestones in advancement where one should know the particulars about some basic installations even if they aren't sure if it's called a UFER or a CEE, etc.
If one guys calls it a "RA", another a "Korns Clamp", etc does not concern me. If he calls himself a journeyman and does not know how to install it on a conduit would.

Split Bolt

OK, another example I just saw on the warming drawer thread. There's talk about submitting an RFI. To me, this means Radio Frequency Interference! What else does it mean?

Oh, and please be nice!:grin:

ceb58

No I don't see what you're saying. Trade slang and abbreviations may or may not be understood by all parties in a conversation, the important issue is whether or not the actual item or topic of discussion is understood.

Take this how you will, but this is where you (reflecting back on a good number of your threads) probably differ from the person you are talking about.

Roger

Just think how many EC that may not understand what the term ungrounded conductor is;)

Status
Not open for further replies.