24 v ac systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The machines I work on has a 24 V AC control voltage. does this voltage require a ground or a bond. I would say that the only requirement short circuit protection. What do you think about using cat 5 to control a bank of relays 7 exactly 24 volts AC. I am sceptical.

dicklaxt

See 250.20A for grounding,,,,,,,,,,,,Just not clear on what you are wanting to do with Cat 5 cables in 24VAC relay control,can you explain this in more detail...............Cat 5 cabling is used for networking,video cable etc,standard is 4 twisted pairs under a common jacket.

dick

jumper

I have not seen Cat 5 used for 24VAC wiring. Usually I use some type of Belden cable that is #16 or #18 I believe.

I have used CAT 5 for 12VDC POE apps for security cameras and wireless routers.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The machines I work on has a 24 V AC control voltage. does this voltage require a ground or a bond. I would say that the only requirement short circuit protection. What do you think about using cat 5 to control a bank of relays 7 exactly 24 volts AC. I am sceptical.

I would say that the code allows for limited energy circuits and those kind of circuits don't have to comply with all the usual requirements.

I would probably not be using regular old cat5 cable for this purpose, but its possible that in this particular installation that some kind of cat5 cable might be code legal.

nhfire77

I have not seen Cat 5 used for 24VAC wiring. Usually I use some type of Belden cable that is #16 or #18 I believe.

I have used CAT 5 for 12VDC POE apps for security cameras and wireless routers.

Some IP CCTV uses 24vac over cat 5. With active transmitter receivers at 24 vac you can go 1000's of feet with analog
Cameras over cat 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.