kitchen renovation bashing allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob12013

I'm Trying very hard to estimate so to get my Head above water here is a detail for the job I did a price on $5015.00 what do you guys think thanks for you help.DETAILS OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED:

1) Add 3 way switches & 4 recess cans in living room
possible 2 focus lights for wall pictures
2) Add 2 recess cans or 1 light fixture in foyer and 1 light switch and 1 fixture in closet
possible 1 focus lights for wall pictures
3) Add switches and 6 recess cans in hearth room
4) Add switches and & light over table location in hearth room

Kitchen
5.) 1 new wall oven circuit (need outlet ?)
240/208 V AC
30 A, conduit 50? flexible 4-wire
6.) 1 new warming drawer oven (need outlet ?)
120 V AC
20 A
7.) 1 new circuit and outlet for built in freezer
120 V AC
15 A
8.) 1 new circuit and outlet for built in refrigerator
120 V AC
15 A
9.) 1 new island dw circuit
10.) 1 new circuit and outlet for island microwave
11.) Verify wiring for main sink disposal
12.) Add wiring for hood fan
13.) Add 3 ? 4 pendant light fixtures over island
14.) Add switches & 9 recess cans in kitchen area, spaced as framing and obstacles permit
15.) Add / modify outlets & wiring to met new kitchen layout per code

16.) Under cabinet accent / decorative lighting
17.) Remove any unused wire/circuits if possible
18.) Install new sub-panel under stairs in garage for new kitchen circuits. Sub-panel
location convenient to outside distribution panel and crawl space.

TOOL_5150

I came out much higher than that, but being in a different state, prices are going to be very different. For your state, it seems like you are in the ballpark.

~Matt

CDELECT

Tooo cheap. I'm over 2400 just for the recessed lights, without any kitchen remodel work

When your doing a kitchen remod try to keep those numbers on it's own estimate, then do one on the lighting, and you should come up with a better estimate, better for you, customers usually have no idea how expensive recess lighting in old work can cost.

MikeS

Seems way low to me too. Are you supplying materials? Just the undercabinet /accent lights could be $1000 depending on specs
Couple of questions:
Are you fishing most of the new stuff or will the walls and ceilings be open?
How far from the panel to the kitchen? Is there attic or crawl space access?

growler

DETAILS OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED:

1) Add 3 way switches & 4 recess cans in living room
2) Add 2 recess cans or 1 light fixture in foyer and 1 light switch and 1 fixture in closet
possible 1 focus lights for wall pictures
3) Add switches and 6 recess cans in hearth room
4) Add switches and & light over table location in hearth room
16.) Under cabinet accent / decorative lighting

The only comment I have is that you are not specific enough in your scope of work to let the customer know exactly what they get for the money.

Look at item #1. add 3-way switches. What type of switches? You going to install cheap snap switches or the more expensive deco?
What size and type of fixture and trim to include the lamp and who is to furnish said fixture?

Look at item #4. How many switches and what type? What type of fixture and just who buys said fixture?

Look at item#16. Specify type of light and number and who is to furnish.

If you specify the exact number and type of item to be installed then you can add additional charges as they change and up-grade items.

I couldn't give an exact dollar figure the way things are listed because there are to many questions that need to be answered. The main one is who buys the fixtures and what type. All fixtures are not cheap and when you furnish the fixtures customer will expect more ( if you don't specify type) ;)

Last edited:

rob12013

I put in my estimate $15 a foot for undercabinet lighting and cans with basic tim. The new sub panel 60 feet away there is craw space I'm not supplying any other fixtures. I'm really surprised at least I won't let him make me second guess myself. Also I'm going to do solo. Just wanted to say I am licensed have workman's comp bonding and liability insurance so I would like to have a helper and charge $80 an hr. But I will say this my rates increase monthly thanks for the help

mcclary's electrical

When your doing a kitchen remod try to keep those numbers on it's own estimate, then do one on the lighting, and you should come up with a better estimate, better for you, customers usually have no idea how expensive recess lighting in old work can cost.

????? I didn't ask any questions, I was replying to one

rob12013

To appear even more like a trunk slammer would this typically be the method of payment? Please excuse my ignorance.

Deposit/investment 1671.00
Rough install 1380.50
Trim out 1211.50
Final payment 752.00

flyboy

Huh?

Huh?

Wow, I'm amazed! How do you guys know what his overhead, breakeven and desired profit is that you can quote prices to him?

Am I missing something here?

Anybody wondering the same thing?

Or am I all alone here?

flyboy

Labor hours & Material Cost

Labor hours & Material Cost

To appear even more like a trunk slammer would this typically be the method of payment? Please excuse my ignorance.

Deposit/investment 1671.00
Rough install 1380.50
Trim out 1211.50
Final payment 752.00

Just curious:

How many total labor hours (man hours) did you figure on?

What is your total cost of all materials (including fixtures and devices)?

mkgrady

Wow, I'm amazed! How do you guys know what his overhead, breakeven and desired profit is that you can quote prices to him?

Or am I all alone here?

Well, the OP asked what we think.

It seems like a pretty low price to me but cost of living here is high here.

mcclary's electrical

Or am I all alone here?

Nobody's telling him what to bid, they're telling him what they would bid

:confused:

flyboy

Well, the OP asked what we think.

It seems like a pretty low price to me but cost of living here is high here.

Cost of living? Cost of doing business is all that counts when it comes to pricing. Knowing your breakeven and desired profit, which is arrived at knowing the businesses total overhead and direct costs.

That is of course if one plans on making a profit; which is the reason one goes into business to begin with.

Otherwise, it's a hobby.

Buck Parrish

Are you getting a permit in Durham NC ? , If so.... It will cost you a little more then you think.
Durham inspectors are all licensed in the unlimited class and they have to take a 200 question electrical inspectors test. This is before the Durhams. Chief electrical inspector '' will hire them.
I respect them because they are consistent. Consistent in enforcing all the NEC compliant rules.
Every thing has to be exactly right all the time.
Some inspectors will even energize the building to make sure every item and circuit works as it is described.
Please figure AFCI's , if you have a sq D or Ch they can cost as much as $63.00. ea.

Last edited:

rob12013

The job is in N Raleigh I just got the business license and on the online permit pulling site.
I've done most work in Durham. In my estimate I didn't include permit fees. I'll make profit if I get the job done in less then two weeks. You guys will laugh at me in my billable hr. Math I did when I started in April I figured a salery of 35k I probably need to pop that up to 50k.
Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.