Drilling in Brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc

Hey guys, looking for any input you would be willing to give. I have a 1" hole to place into an exterior brick wall on a customer's house and I planned on using a 1" Core bit. Just curious if anyone had some insight, buddy told me "just use a hammer drill bit" but with it being brick I thought it best to go the core bit route. It's a bit of a tricky application for a picky customer with $500K house, we have to penetrate the wall in garage so I can't go through foundation and up the inside etc. Thanks in advance!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO it really depends on what you need to hole to look like when you're done. If it's going to be covered you can use a small masonry bit and drill a series of holes round the perimeter. Won't look that great but is functional. If you need a nice clean hole a hollow core bit it the best way to go.

awc

Thank you sir! It's for a 3/4" conduit entrance so I will absolutely want a nice clean hole. I've used the smaller bits with a pattern and small chisel several times and it's got me thru some tuff spots as well :D I'm going core bit.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
I'm assuming that your core bit is the same as a carbide tipped holesaw. Drill a pilot hole from the exterior, then use the core bit to drill halfway from both sides to prevent the brick from spalling.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hey guys, looking for any input you would be willing to give. I have a 1" hole to place into an exterior brick wall on a customer's house and I planned on using a 1" Core bit. Just curious if anyone had some insight, buddy told me "just use a hammer drill bit" but with it being brick I thought it best to go the core bit route. It's a bit of a tricky application for a picky customer with $500K house, we have to penetrate the wall in garage so I can't go through foundation and up the inside etc. Thanks in advance!!

with a hammer drill bit and a tape mesure drill 1/2 way on both sides.
I have hand core bit blow out the the other side . some times so it can happen if you want both sides to look perfect then drill both sides.
500k house that cheap around here .,,Not that i could buy one.:D

hurk27

Awhile back I had a flooring guy turn me onto a really sharp carbide tipped hammer bit, instead of it being a chisel point like most that can crack the brick or floor tile which is what I got it for, it have a carbide tipped that is sharpened like a regular high speed drill bit, Not only does it drill much faster in hard fired floor tile, I found it drills about 5 times faster in hard fired brick also, it called a Bosch Blue Granite, they are a little pricey but well worth it, I also bought a grinder with the wheel to sharpen it.

I have from 3/8" to 1 1/4" they do make them up to 11/2" but if your talking about conduit size, then you might be out of luck?

once you use one, you will never go back to a chisel tip hammer bit.

Where you at in Indiana?

awc

Awhile back I had a flooring guy turn me onto a really sharp carbide tipped hammer bit, instead of it being a chisel point like most that can crack the brick or floor tile which is what I got it for, it have a carbide tipped that is sharpened like a regular high speed drill bit, Not only does it drill much faster in hard fired floor tile, I found it drills about 5 times faster in hard fired brick also, it called a Bosch Blue Granite, they are a little pricey but well worth it, I also bought a grinder with the wheel to sharpen it.

I have from 3/8" to 1 1/4" they do make them up to 11/2" but if your talking about conduit size, then you might be out of luck?

once you use one, you will never go back to a chisel tip hammer bit.

Where you at in Indiana?

Hey Wayne, thanks for the tip.....I'll check into that, sounds like a winner to me! I'm from the Logansport area, it's about 70 miles straight North of Indy....how about you? I see NW Ind.

Buck Parrish

I've got a place in Parke County, In,

But to the OP. What you have described is something we do ALL the time and thier is no way we could be competitve with a core drill.

Just use a bosch or similar hammer drill and let the drill do the work. Esspecially when you feel your near the end. If you push to hard thats when big chunks might come out.

We always carry small bags of mortar in the truck. The box stores sell 2-3 lb bags just for this purpouse.

While the mortar is still wet. Pick up some of the red brick poder the drill made. Then dab it on to the mortar. I have never had a complaint.;)

If thier real picky you can get a round cover that will slip over the end of the pipe and make it nice and neat.

awc

I've got a place in Parke County, In,

But to the OP. What you have described is something we do ALL the time and thier is no way we could be competitve with a core drill.

Just use a bosch or similar hammer drill and let the drill do the work. Esspecially when you feel your near the end. If you push to hard thats when big chunks might come out.

We always carry small bags of mortar in the truck. The box stores sell 2-3 lb bags just for this purpouse.

While the mortar is still wet. Pick up some of the red brick poder the drill made. Then dab it on to the mortar. I have never had a complaint.;)

If thier real picky you can get a round cover that will slip over the end of the pipe and make it nice and neat.

I agree, I always let the drill do the work. Old timer (at least then I thought so:D) told me that because when I was young I thought I had to put my mighty mouse rear end in it and he said you are #1 - Making yourself more tired than needed and accomplishing nothing more AND #2 - Not being to good to that drill or bit...........

That is a great idea carrying some mortar on the van/truck.

Thank you sir!!

P.S. Parke County is Beautiful, especially over the next few months.

RESI

I recently bored a hole in a customers brick house using a Hilti TE50 hammerdrill with a carbide drill bit. The hole was perfect on the brick side with minimal blowout on the block side. The hole size was 1 1/2".

Status
Not open for further replies.