Storage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc

Hey guys, I have a question...........any good ideas on shovel storage in your work van??? I've had a few suggestions but just looking for some more.......amazing how when I first got one from working out of a truck i thought "wow, look at all the room":D..................HA, didn't take long for that to change:roll:

M4gery

Hang it (and other similar sized items like benders) on hooks on the door and bungee them across the bottom the stop them from swinging.

awc

Mount to the ceiling rails with cowboys.

Ok, I know this may make me look like a complete idiot but I can assure you it won't be the first or last :roll:

What are "cowboys"?

I actually today did make a prototype that is on that principle (utilizing top rails), I used some 3/4" wood with 1-1/2" holes to see how it performs.......not saying it's pretty or anything but seems to function. Very curious what the "cowboys" are though.....

Thanks!

awc

Pipe straps, minerallacs, minies.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, when I first started in this trade I remember how crazy it drove me with all the slang terms etc:D

Cowboys, never heard that one yet but I can't say that anymore.

Funny part is I thought of those too and my buddy came over today and had this idea so we thought "what the hay, it's a nice day and we're off so let's do it".

M4gery

Pipe straps, minerallacs, minies.
Found an image:

d_3840.jpg

480sparky

I have a V-shaped thing between the shelves & the van body in mine. I store my fish sticks, long drill bits, telerod and ground probes in it. It's held to the side with a heavy metal strap... perfect for my 1", ?" and ?" benders.

DSC_2430a.jpg

DSC_2432a.jpg

awc

I have a V-shaped thing between the shelves & the van body in mine. I store my fish sticks, long drill bits, telerod and ground probes in it. It's held to the side with a heavy metal strap... perfect for my 1", ?" and ?" benders.

DSC_2430a.jpg

DSC_2432a.jpg

That looks like it gives you a nice bit of room behind those shelves. Did you buy it or make it?

480sparky

That looks like it gives you a nice bit of room behind those shelves. Did you buy it or make it?

It's all Adrian Steel. Not sure if they even offer that any more as I have never seen it on their web site.

There's room below for my shovel and spade (should Al ever venture up here for work. :D).

awc

Don't laugh

Don't laugh

Sorry, I meant to post this some time ago. This what it ended up looking like. Worked really well BUT I just bought a new van today so I will begin the next design:roll:

I LOVE the smell and feel of that new van!!:D:D

View attachment 5018
click to make larger

awc

SO you install a head-banger in it. :roll:

I need to bang my head sometimes, this way I don't have to plan for it...:cool:

Actually not sure what I'll do yet............I may try to get him behind the shelves like I believe you and I discussed.

kbsparky

Simply mount a couple scrap pieces of 1?-1?" PVC to the ceiling cross supports with some sturdy straps.

Then just slide the shovel/rake/broom, etc handle in from the back. Hitting the brakes won't make them slide out if placed in from the rear.

awc

Simply mount a couple scrap pieces of 1?-1?" PVC to the ceiling cross supports with some sturdy straps.

Then just slide the shovel/rake/broom, etc handle in from the back. Hitting the brakes won't make them slide out if placed in from the rear.

PERFECT, now that is a great idea. I like that, of course my old van doesn't have shelves on the right side so it hasn't been to bad but the new one does and it may be more of a headache, literally, with having to get into the shelves on that side.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Sorry, I meant to post this some time ago. This what it ended up looking like. Worked really well BUT I just bought a new van today so I will begin the next design:roll:

I LOVE the smell and feel of that new van!!:D:D

View attachment 5018
click to make larger

Nothing like the smell of a brand new truck,My truck only has 127,987 miles so i have a ways to go but it is the i have it paid off and got the title to in more then 20 Years so a want to go as far as i can,the new truck prices are way up there.
No matter how big your truck is you will run out of room in no time..

Cow boys i never herd that about minies ,The jargen changes from state to state ,,Someone needs to come out with the national electrical jargen Book
They would be a millionaire:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.