2011 NEC - when to adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

I heard NYS Plans to move to '08 for both res & comm

I heard NYS Plans to move to '08 for both res & comm

I heard today that in December of this year, or early January of 2011, NYS plans to move to the 2008 NEC for all buildings and structures covered by the Building Code and also plans to move all the way from the 2002 edition of the NEC up to the 2008 for its' Residential Code.

If this is actually true, this will represent a giant step forward for the Residential Code which at present is two (almost 3) code cycles behind.

I eagerly await anyone verifying this information for me and thank you in advance.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses, it really is interesting how different parts of the country treat the adoption of the codes they are dealing with.

NYS has put the adoption of their codes to the State Register, September 29. There is a 90 day grace period, which means that the day after December 28, filing any jobs from that point on will be to the new code cycle. We will be referencing the 2008 NEC with a few changes that are in the different documents that NY uses. There are also emergency bulletins, which become effective the day they are announced - which is generally during the code cycle.
If you have any questions, post them. I am fairly well versed in what we are doing here in NY.

BTW:
I did attend the Eastern Section IAEI Meeting...can't keep an old dog from doing what he does. :grin:

I actually really enjoyed the meeting, and I did learn quite a bit.

Best of all, I got to meet Charlie there. He is not only a gentleman, he is damn smart too!!!:cool:

Additional news on NEC code adoption for NYers...

It is already being discussed online, so I thought I would post what I know.

As we speak...uh, type, NYS is forming a committee to pursue adopting the current NEC document the year it is out. Such as the 2011 in 2011.

If they are successful in this landmark legislation, there is a possibility that NYS would adopt the 2011 NEC as soon as late in 2011.:cool:
The State would then keep the pattern from that time on in adopting the current NEC. The reason I say this, is NYS's code cycle does not coincide with the NEC code cycle.
I will keep you all in touch. :D

Wow, thanks for all of the responses, it really is interesting how different parts of the country treat the adoption of the codes they are dealing with.

NYS has put the adoption of their codes to the State Register, September 29. There is a 90 day grace period, which means that the day after December 28, filing any jobs from that point on will be to the new code cycle. We will be referencing the 2008 NEC with a few changes that are in the different documents that NY uses. There are also emergency bulletins, which become effective the day they are announced - which is generally during the code cycle.
If you have any questions, post them. I am fairly well versed in what we are doing here in NY.

BTW:
I did attend the Eastern Section IAEI Meeting...can't keep an old dog from doing what he does. :grin:

I actually really enjoyed the meeting, and I did learn quite a bit.

Best of all, I got to meet Charlie there. He is not only a gentleman, he is damn smart too!!!:cool:
Pierre, what are these different documents that you refer to (IRC?).
when we take code update classes what besides 2008nec would be needed?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Pierre, what are these different documents that you refer to (IRC?).when we take code update classes what besides 2008nec would be needed?

IRC= "International Residential Code" it is the ICC building code for housing up to 3 or 4 units, it leaves out all the comercial requirements.

Pierre, what are these different documents that you refer to (IRC?).
when we take code update classes what besides 2008nec would be needed?

NYS has a law that does not permit the state to adopt other codes. So, NYS has purchased the rights to IBC codes (and the NEC) and then makes modifications to these documents to satisfy the law and work details particular to the state.

The documents in whole are called:

New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (Uniform Code)

With the Existing Building Code, there are 9 different documents. 7 of those documents have bearing on electrical work.

**I am providing an update seminar this Saturday (Nov 13). If you are interested in attending, let me know and I will email you the flyer.

DavidA

I'm pretty sure the world will still be here after 2012 but unfortunatley so will be the CMP's. This three year code cycle seems way to short to me. Half the states haven't even adapted the last book and the next one is coming out. I may be wrong but I think most of the major issues in electrical safety have pretty well been adressed!!

So you'd think, but people with an innovative and creative spirit will find new ways to be unsafe with electricity requiring new regulations to make it safe again.

Status
Not open for further replies.