Sticky situation - 2 contractors on same job

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC01

I am the production equipment electrical contractor. Part of my scope of work as instructed by the equipment manufacturers is to bond back to building steel. The problem is the building electrical contractor did not install a grounding electrode system as described by the NEC nor did he do any bonding other than a ground rod driven at the main service. There is also a 75 KVA transformer that he installed but refuse to bond the XO tap to building steel. Several electrodes as described by the code are existing but are not bonded together. It is my opinion that this will result in voltage rises if a fault condition occurs and if the electronics are taken out due to that, will it be my responsibility to pay for repair costs?

iwire

Staff member
I ses nothing to odd about the situation.

Send a letter to those you are working for documenting and explaining the problem and let them deal with it.

ceb58

Was the other work inspected? As Bob said send a letter to the owners as to the violations and how would they like to proceed.

JMC01

Ceb and Bob

I have documented till I am blue in the face. I just can't make them understand what is about to happen to their machinery. No, Ceb, the building guy never called for any inspections. He didn't even get a permit until the day they were finished. Then on top of that, he used someone else's license to permit the job. I am in real jam here. I'm just trying to protect myself and my customer who is just leasing the building. Don't really know who to call.

hardworkingstiff

Don't really know who to call.

Did you get a permit for your work?

Then when you get your inspection, just a little question to the EI about proper service equipment grounding and grounding electrodes should stir the pot enough. Don't you think so?

Oh yea, a letter to the owner stating warranty may be voided because of the problem is in order (as others have indicated).

Edit: Since he used someone else's license, a call to the licensed contractor might get something done (with an explanation of how attorneys love to come after contractors that willfully violate the NEC). I don't think you've tried very hard (to stir the pot that is).

Last edited:

sparky=t

also it is illegal in most states to sell your license or to subcontract work to any one other than a licensed contractor!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that the main and system bonding jumpers and the EGCs are in place, the lack of a grounding electrode connection should cause no operational problems for the equipment, even under fault conditions. The only exception to this would be communications/control circuits that have a conductor that is connected to "ground" at both ends.

hardworkingstiff

Assuming that the main and system bonding jumpers and the EGCs are in place, ....

I think that's what the OP is trying to get the electrician that did the building to do.

The problem is the building electrical contractor did not install a grounding electrode system as described by the NEC nor did he do any bonding other than a ground rod driven at the main service.

growler

He didn't even get a permit until the day they were finished. Then on top of that, he used someone else's license to permit the job. I am in real jam here. I'm just trying to protect myself and my customer who is just leasing the building. Don't really know who to call.

Edit: Since he used someone else's license, a call to the licensed contractor might get something done (with an explanation of how attorneys love to come after contractors that willfully violate the NEC). I don't think you've tried very hard (to stir the pot that is).

I agree with hardworkingstiff. I wouldn't even touch anything until the other guys get his final inspection and if there were any problems I would bring it to the attention of the inspector.

I guess the first thing I would do is ask the owner to see the contract signed by this unlicensed contractor. A copy of that is all I would need to file a complaint. Even the idea that the work was started without a permit is a violation and it just gets worse from there.

It would be real easy to stir the pot on this one. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.