Quoting a job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a small city area, what do you think is reasonable to replace a 100A, single phase weather head, meter base, and service entrance cable that is maximum 30 feet from weather head to meter base to load center?

Plus a new 6 AWG water service ground (about 20 feet away)...
2 new grounding rods...

The house is 2 stories high, and should go up fairly easily.

As an additional quote, they wanted to run a piece of MC cable from the boiler 10 feet to a 1900 box to replace the NM cable that is currently there and hang a kitchen chandelier.

A permit would be pulled and have a city inspection of course.

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
In a small city area, what do you think is reasonable to replace a 100A, single phase weather head, meter base, and service entrance cable that is maximum 30 feet from weather head to meter base to load center?

Plus a new 6 AWG water service ground (about 20 feet away)...
2 new grounding rods...

The house is 2 stories high, and should go up fairly easily.

Well this brings us back to " how about posting your location in your profile".:roll:

$800

As an additional quote, they wanted to run a piece of MC cable from the boiler 10 feet to a 1900 box to replace the NM cable that is currently there and hang a kitchen chandelier.
$300 unless its some kind of artsy fartsy chandelier.

Thanks ... I was estimating $800 for the base, SEC, and weather head also, but thought the grounding rods and water service ground should be an extra $150 - 200...

I am rather new at this and really aperciate the input!

jmsbrush

You should put that in your profile as prices vary from state to state. If you can get a grand for the job, more power to ya!:)

Chris, you are right that prices vary from state to state.
As you know, if you take ten EC's from just one local area you will have prices all across the board.

Regardless of where Digi is from, he should base his prices based off his costs of doing business and his desired profit. It doesnt matter what you or I charge.

krisinjersey

Even in New Jersey

Even in New Jersey

A top half SEU 100A replacement is in my book as $450. I have the ground rods and bonding upgrade at $200 upto 25ft away in an unfinished area. Replacement on the NM with MC $50. Fixture swap from existing (simple fixture, not "artsy fartsy" and NO CRYSTAL)$50 (push a dimmer for an easy extra). Comes to $750 plus the permit fees, and the running it to the town, and setting up the inspection, and coming back to babysit the inspector. $1250 sounds about right if not a little light. If you can get them to handle the permit duties, you can cut it back to about $1000. Should take 2 guys half a day so you're just about on pace with what we like to see here.

Why does everyone go to 2 ground rods right away?

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Why does everyone go to 2 ground rods right away?

Because you will almost never get 25 ohms or less with one--so just drive 2 and forget it

wireguy8169

I have done a good bit of work in that area, basic 100 amp service change out about 8 months ago materials were oh about 550 ish and pretty close to what you said as far as materials that included the two ground rods (ask the inspector you intend to use he will tell you if you need two rods )and all hardware needed, now they paid the inspection fee 65 bucks.

You should make sure about the disconnect reconnect fees from the utilities. Not sure if your aware of it but they do charge (for the last 5 yrs or so) to cut and reconnect the power, but they do not always do it as over the years they have become more relaxed. It use to be $110 for a cut and reconnect and 30 bucks to pull a meter. When you call for the Job number ask, or ask the dispatcher at the number they give you to set up the disconnect reconnect.
We were getting $800-875 if they took care of those cost and if not it was close to $1050-1200 if we covered it. As for the chandalier T&M maybe 65-100 bucks if nothing major going on.

The last job I did was on Berwick road and that was like I said about a 8 months ago...Not sure if you have to use that area's inspector or can use a private, some municipalities have their own or will refer you to some they have associated with. Check first sometimes they want you to use theirs.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.