Problem with GFCI breaker on transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozark01

I was thinking that when you tried the MOV across the transformer primary(120 volt side) you might have accidentally switch the mode to a different pattern, other wise like Gar says the MOV would not have any effect on the load? some of these mode switches are electronic, and switching on and off the power could cause the mode to change. do you have a web site for the lights?

seems strange these lights don't come with there own power supply? But then again I find it strange the the NEC doesn't require them to be listed as an assembly like it does for other low voltage lights:roll:

The 12v LED lights in the pool are the kind that you program by cutting the switch on and off in a specific pattern. That is what is creating the problem with the switch operations kicking out the GFCI breaker.

I talked to the manufactures support today and they said this is not a problem they are familiar with. So I believe I have a bad transformer or a bad light.

Here are links to the fixtures for those who are interested.

http://www.nexxuslighting.com/pool/support/pdf/InstallManuals/Melody_Blanco_Install.pdf

http://www.nexxuslighting.com/pool/support/pdf/UserGuides/UserGuide_SAVI_Pool_Spa_M4-SA.pdf

gar

Occupation
EE
100908-1938 EST

ozark01:

The logic of the lights with which you are working represent a sequential type of control, partly by time periods, and partly by stepping. It is a type of system I would never personally have. In my opinion a quite undesirable mode of operation. It is sort of like electronic clocks where I can only go forward to set time or alarm. I much prefer absolute address systems. However, this is not your problem.

I doubt you have a defective transformer. What would cause output stepping of the secondary voltage? Only the overload sensor in the transformer, and this is unlikely based on other positions of the MOV. There is no reason for the MOV to cause the problem either. I would suspect the LED lights, but have nothing to support this guess.

The GFCI is not an automatic resetting device and therefore should produce no output pulsations.

I would remove all load from the transformer secondary. Then determine how to prevent switching of the transformer primary from tripping the GFCI. Doing this with no secondary load, and with an incandescent full load.

Once this works, then use only the LED lights as the load. Do they act funny. If so, then I would classify the LEDs as having a defective design. Or wiring problems.

With the switch on steady, not turned off, do the lights change state.

Another possible experiment is to use a relay to switch the low voltage output of the transformer. Does this correct the problem?

ozark01

I replaced the GFCI breaker today....I'll let you know how it goes. I'm depending on the home owner for feedback and I told her to not to be shy if she is not happy.

The pool installer got the lights back in sequence so I am going to leave that problem for him to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.