Nccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

National Center for Construction Education and Research. The reason I ask is our local community collage is offering there electrical construction level I class. My son has signed up for the first of 4 segments. It states that after completion of the 4 segments you can take the exam for there level I certification. Has any one had any experience with there training and certification? And if so is it worth the time?

Lost_RFTech

Ceb,

Evidently the NCCER exams are used as a screening tool by Dupont. Our company recently hired a new maintenance manager (ex-dupont) and she has been pushing the NCCER exams as a possible solution to the company's inability to hire qualified individuals.

In an effort to evaluate the exams for what are called "Electrical and Control Technicians" here - usually shortened to "electrician", several of us were asked to take and express our opinions on the exams.
The two exams chosen to most accurately address our needs were the Industrial Maintenance Electrician and Instrumentation Technician.

I considered the content of both exams to be pertenant and appropriate, though I must say that there were a few questions where terminology that was new to me - possibly regional(?) - was used that is probably covered in their courses. Long story short, if you took their course and passed their exams you probably have the basic foundation to be extremely trainable and then effective in a short time at the discipline chosen.

Our company is actively working with the local juco to set up several NCCER courses to offer to locals and current employees. The instructor will be local but the course content must be NCCER provided to maintain their certification/endorsement.

I would be very interested in others opinions/experience/observations on this program.....especially now that I am NCCER certified in two areas.

ceb58

From what he has learned so far is that it will take four years to complete their training. 2 nights a week per semester. But that is to complete the 4 levels of their training. Once you have completed a level you then take an exam. If you pass this exam you are put onto a national data base. Then if you apply for work in other states they can pull you training up any where.

Status
Not open for further replies.