Electric panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I would think so.

I don't think it would be your violation though, if that's what you're getting at. If the Owner has placed a picture over the panel, simply explain to him/her that its a violation and let him/her take it down for you to do your work. Get your inspections or whatever, and you only have to assume that they won't put it back. What the Owner does after you leave is entirely up to them.

Jason

marti smith

It would behoove the HO to not. Had a service call where this had happened, the breaker for the a/c disconnect had tripped. The panel (no. 4 in the house) was covered by a large family photo, very dusty. After tracing the wiring back to this spot from the attic, removing the photo, resetting the breaker, replacing the photo, tsk-tsk the HO, they moved the photo elsewhere.

Npstewart

I don't think anyone would give you trouble about it period. If you need to get on a ladder to take the picture off, then yes it would be a violation. If you can just rip it off the wall, then its fine in my opinion.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just what part of the code would prohibit such a thing?

It's common to put electrical panels in utility rooms where they are very inconvenient to even get to, or a basement. A picture that can easily be moved is no big deal IMO.

renosteinke

I've encountered this situation in three distinct variations; it seems part of human nature to conceal the panel, no matter the effort. The three variations I have encountered are:
1) hang a picture;
2) paint / wallpaper/ attach a piece of panelling; and,
3) placing the panel behind an 'always open' door.

The first one - hanging a picture - is, I conceed, a violation of the working space requirements. Not that I expect to ever see a 'violation' notice ... this is, IMO, what the law would call a 'de minimus' violation.

The second can be done quite artfully, and make the panel nearly impossible to find. Often you will need a knife to cut the 'seal' around the door, made by the paint or adhesive. FWIW, European panels are often designed to accept such a decorative panel - think along the lines of our 'SubZero" refrigerators.

The third is clearly legal - but, if the door truly is 'always open,' a panel may be forgotten, and -I've seen this happen - be 'lost' for decades.

I've had the 'hidden panel' service call a few times. There's some humor in it ... at least until you present your bill!

One customer - a nursing home- had been 'forced' for many years to 'work hot' on some circuits. The maintenance staff was not able to find the panel, however they searched. Then a resident died ... she ALWAYS kept the door to her room wide open .... and, VOILA!; there was the missing panel. Again, funny except for the unnecessary risks taken ovwer the years in 'working hot.'

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I was wondering if you have an electrical panel covered by a picture in a hall way for asthetics, is this a violation?

Welcome to the Forum, I see your from Florida. I once told a home owner there was an old panel in her kitchen I needed to get at. She said there wasn't. I said maybe behind a picture, which IMO is not a violation. She said no, so I asked her if I could take a look.

BainJBox001.jpg

Found it.:grin:

BainJBox002.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Welcome to the Forum, I see your from Florida. I once told a home owner there was an old panel in her kitchen I needed to get at. She said there wasn't. I said maybe behind a picture, which IMO is not a violation. She said no, so I asked her if I could take a look.

Found it.:grin:

BainJBox002.jpg

So did you hang a picture over it when you were done ? :)

Jim W in Tampa

I agree it is a work space violation but no more so than if you had a chair in front of it. If an inspector gave you trouble (not likely) then simply remove picture till ink dries.
One of my panels is in dining room and has an oil painting over it. Personally i would prefered it someplace better like in my office but not worth what it would cost in hours or material to change.

jumper

If it were a Michigan picture the guys in Ohio would turn you down. LOL

Tis the season. Big Ten.

The Michigan ? Ohio State football rivalry (also known as The Game by some followers) is an intense college football rivalry between the Wolverines of the University of Michigan and the Buckeyes of The Ohio State University. It has attracted particular national interest over the last four decades as most of the games have determined the Big Ten Conference title and the resulting Rose Bowl match ups, and many have influenced the outcome of the national collegiate football championship. The game was ranked by ESPN in 2000 as the greatest North American sports rivalry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_–_Ohio_State_football_rivalry

Split Bolt

I don't know if it could be considered a violation, but it could be a royal pain when you don't know where the panel is! I was doing some troubleshooting in the apartment of a self-storage facility. The manager gets to live on-site at a lot of these. I kept looking for the affected circuit in every sub-panel I could find. After much wasted time, I found the apartment sub-panel in the hallway, covered by a painting! Since it was a furnished apartment, the manager had no idea it was there either.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.