GFCI breaker versus outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

montevo

I have an appliance when hook into GFCI breaker regardless vendor it will run for a while and trip GFCI, but when hook into GFCI outlet it work infinitly.

In case, I have isolate down to GFCI not the load of the unit. The unit only use at full capacity of 8 amps onto 20 GFCI breaker.

Why is it the GFCI breaker trip but not outlet? Thank you in advance.

iwire

Staff member
The first thing that comes to mind is it a dedicated circuit?

The second thing that comes to mind is that somewhere in the branch circuit the grounded conductor (White) is touching a grounding conductor (green).

480sparky

The first thing that comes to mind is it a dedicated circuit?

I thought the same thing. If it's not a dedicated circuit, there could be something else that leaking, but not enough to trip the GFI breaker. With the new load, and it's leaking a little bit, the combined leakage is enough to trip the breaker.

I have an appliance when hook into GFCI breaker regardless vendor it will run for a while and trip GFCI, but when hook into GFCI outlet it work infinitly.

In case, I have isolate down to GFCI not the load of the unit. The unit only use at full capacity of 8 amps onto 20 GFCI breaker.

Why is it the GFCI breaker trip but not outlet? Thank you in advance.

It must have a high leakage value on its own. Every device has some.

Wiring itself from the GFCB has capacitive leakage, the longer it is and the more receptacles are hooked onto the circuit the greater this 'base leakage' value will be. If it runs into a damp basement, this value further increases.

Is this a good reason or not for PAT(Portable Appliance Testing) which isn't required in this country?

I am not sure what 'this' are you refering to, but perhaps you can describe it and we can then discuss the merits of it. Sounds like a new topic to me.

In general the attitude in the US toward another oversight agency or action would not be a welcoming one. It kills small business.

macmikeman

I am not sure what 'this' are you refering to, but perhaps you can describe it and we can then discuss the merits of it. Sounds like a new topic to me.

In general the attitude in the US toward another oversight agency or action would not be a welcoming one. It kills small business.

In general the current attitude of the US toward small business is to kill it...
Lead abatement is a pretty good example of this. There are mountains of other examples.

To op: If there are no electronics in your appliance (seldom the case anymore) then you can megger test it for current leakage. Same thing for the branch circuit feeding it. One or the other is causing a problem, or there is too long of a run feeding the circuit as others posted. It doesn't take much to exceed the threshold of a GFI.

wptski

The OP is about a appliance and you mentioned leakage. Fluke, Megger, etc. market a special testing unit for use on appliances that have a three prong power cord. The testers are like a specialized megger where you plug the appliance cord into it and run a series of tests. I haven't read up on the exact rules, regs, etc. Google PAT testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.