Peoria\Pekin Illinois exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKoehl

Does anyone have information regarding the electrical exam for the Peoria\Pekin Illinois area?

I am currently studying to take the exam and would like to know if there are any specific tips you could provide.

thanks in advance.

GeorgeKoehl

From the inspectors office

From the inspectors office

The requirements for the Electrical Contractor Exam are listed below.

affidavit that the applicant has at least six (6) years of practical experience

installing, altering, or repairing electrical equipment and electrical components of

which at least two (2) years have been in a supervisory position.

The Electrical Inspector, with the approval of the Electrical Commission, may

accept an application which does not meet the stated requirements if the

applicant can satisfy the Electrical Commission that he or she has obtained the

knowledge and experience equivalent to the above-stated requirements through

other means of education and/or training.

7-1D-10-5: EXAMINATION:

A. Examination Required: Before a certificate of registration required by this

Code shall be issued to an applicant by the Electrical Commission of the

City, the applicant shall, following reasonable advanced notice, present

himself for examination as instructed by the Electrical Inspector at the time

and place set by him. The Electrical Commission shall examine such

applicant as to his practical knowledge of the installation and alteration of

electrical equipment, as set forth in the rules and regulations of this Article

and in the latest issue of the National Electrical Code (NFPA-70) as

adopted by the City. Such examination shall be, administered by the

International Code Council Testing Facility of the applicant?s choice.

B. Upon successfully passing the Exam the applicant shall pay the $100

dollar license fee.

C. Submission of Qualifications: Applicants shall submit their qualifications to

the City Electrical Inspector at least two (2) weeks prior to the examination

date.

7-1D-10-6: ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATE; EXPIRATION; RENEWALS;

NONTRANSFERABILITY: Any person who shall have filed proper application

and later shall have passed satisfactory examination shall be entitled to receive a

certificate of registration to do electrical wiring and engage in the business of

electrical contracting in the City.
A electrical contractor license issued by the Electrical Commission shall not be

loaned, rented, assigned or transferred.

Electrical Contractors Examination will be applied to current years license, if

issued. If not issued $100.00 is non-refundable.

Electrical Contractors? Annual License $100.00

I currently send all qualified applicants to take an International Code Council Exam for a Master Electrician.

Mark Reeder

Electrical Inspector

City of Pekin

MASTER AND JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN EXAMS
JOB TASKS and EXAM OUTLINES
Master: 100 Q, Journeyman 80 Q

01 General Knowledge (Content Area) M: 12 Q/ J: 5 Q

0101 Electrical Theory and General Electrical Load Calculations (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Perform mathematical calculations using voltage, power, and amperage values to determine voltage drop and circuit loading for various loads such as motors, appliances, and lighting.
0102 Code Definitions and Terms (Task) M: 1 J: 4
Communicate with inspectors, customers, and associate electricians using code definitions and accepted trade terms found on supply lists, drawings, blue prints, sketches, and specifications.
0103 Plan Reading (Task) M: 10
Read and Interpret plans and install wiring according to plans and code provisions.

02 Services & Service Equipment (Content Area) M: 16 Q / J: 9 Q

0201 Services and Fault Current (Task) M: 2 J: 1
Design and verify that the service overcurrent devices will safely interrupt the maximum fault current available and that the service equipment is designed for the available fault current.
0202 Service Load Calculations (Task) M: 5 J: 1
Calculate lighting loads, and all other loads as part of the service load.
0203 Service Equipment & Service Conductors (Task) M: 3 J: 3
Design and install service equipment, disconnecting means, service, and service entrance conductors according to code for proper location, number, raceway installation, size, and ratings.
0204 System Grounding and Bonding (Task) M: 3 J: 2
Supervise and/or install grounding electrode system, grounding electrode conductor, & bonding jumper.
0205 Temporary Service Wiring (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Install temporary service, safety devices such as lamp protection, grounding, and GFCI protection.
0206 Transformers(Task) M: 2 J: 1
Supervise and/or install transformers according to code provisions for use, size, type and location.

03 Feeders (Content Area) M: 4 Q / J: 3 Q

0301 Load Calculations (Task) M: 3 J: 2
Calculate loads using voltage, power, and amperage values to determine feeder conductor size, overcurrent devices, lighting, appliance, heating & air conditioning loads, and specific loads.
0302 Equipment Grounding (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Install equipment grounding conductors for feeders according to applicable code provisions.

04 Branch Circuit & Conductors (Content Area) M: 16 Q / J: 15 Q

0401 Branch Circuit Calculations (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Install branch circuits, determine branch circuit loads, and determine the required number of branch circuits for an occupancy and calculate branch circuit loads.
0402 Required Outlets & GFCI/ AFCI Protection (Task) M: 4 J: 3
Design and install branch circuits for lighting and power outlets and install GFCI / AFCI protection following applicable code provisions.
0403 Overcurrent Protection (Task) M: 4 J: 4
Install overcurrent protection devices per code provisions for branch circuit ratings, loads & locations.
0404 Equipment Grounding (Task) M: 3 J: 3
Install equipment grounding conductors for branch circuits and provide circuit and equipment grounding.
0405 Conductors (Task) M: 4 J: 4
Determine conductor size, ampacity, use, type, insulation, splicing, terminations, and taps and determine the difference between grounded and grounding conductors

05 Wiring Methods and Materials (Content Area) M: 19 Q / J: 21 Q
0501 Raceway Installations (Task) M: 6 J: 6
Install raceways according to applicable code provisions for correct size, use, and type.
0502 Underground Wiring Methods (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Design, supervise and/or install underground raceways and direct burial cable wiring.
0503 Boxes and Enclosures (Task) M: 2 J: 3
Install boxes and enclosures according to code provisions for location, size, fill, support and covers.
0504 Cabinets, Panel boards, & Switchboards (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Design, supervise and/or install cabinets, panel boards, switchboards, wireways and gutters to see that all use and installation requirements are met.
0505 Clearance and Guarding (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Design, supervise and/or install wiring methods, materials and equipment according to listing and labeling and clearance and guarding provisions
0506 Flexible Cords and Cables (Task) M: 5 J: 6
Install flexible cords & cable according code for correct size, use, type, insulation, markings, & ampacity.

06 Equipment and Devices (Content Area) M: 10 Q / J: 10 Q
0601 Luminaires (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Install luminaires following code provisions for location, support, insulation, markings, temperature ratings, lamping, and provisions for flush and recessed luminaires.
0602 Receptacles, Switches and Other Devices (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Install receptacles, switches and other devices according to code requirements.
0603 Appliances and Other Equipment (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Install and connect appliances, heating and cooling branch circuits and other equipment according to the use and installation requirements of code.
0604 Other Utilization Equipment (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Design, supervise and/or install other utilization equipment to see that the use and installation requirements of code are met.
0605 Heating and Cooling Equipment (Task) M: 2 J: 2
Design, supervise and/or install heating and cooling equipment to see that the use and installation requirements of code are met.

07 Control Devices (Content Area) M: 3 Q / J: 3 Q
0701 Switches, Disconnects and Controllers (Task) M: 3 J: 3
Install switches, disconnects, controllers, etc. (such as thermostats) to see that code use and installation requirements are met including sizing and rating and that switching circuits are properly installed.

08 Motors and Generators (Content Area) M: 8 Q / J: 5 Q
0801 Motors (Task) M: 7 J: 4
supervise and/or install motor installations including motor feeder and branch-circuit conductors, disconnecting means and controllers according to code requirements
0802 Generators (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Design, supervise and/or install generators in compliance with code requirements.

09 Special Occupancies, Equipment and Conditions (Content Area) M: 12 Q / J: 9 Q
0901 Special Occupancies (Task) M: 3 J: 2
Design and/or install materials and equipment required for use in hazardous locations and other special occupancies according to all applicable code provisions.
0903 Swimming Pools and Similar Installations (Task) M: 2 J: 3
Design and/or install materials and wiring required for swimming pools, spas, indoor installations of decorative fountains and similar installations
0904 Mobile Home and RV Parks (Task) M: 1 J:
Design and/or install materials and wiring required for mobile home and RV parks and similar installations
0905 Data Processing Equipment (Task) M: 1 J: 1
Design and/or install materials and wiring required for data processing equipment and similar installations
0906 Miscellaneous Special Equipment (Task) M: 2 J: 1
Design and/or install materials and wiring required for miscellaneous special equipment
0907 Emergency Systems, Signaling and Fire Alarm Systems (Task) M: 3 J: 2
Design and/or install materials and wiring required for emergency systems, signaling and fire alarm systems

wireguy8169

George,

From what you posted looks similar to ME's requirements (maybe other areas too just havent see them), I did have an issue with my application here in Maine, they questioned the content of the apprenticship I did and experience. The director from PA joint council of apprenticship programs said they were crazy. Along with that they said it did not look as if I met the experience requirements, which I could not understand, they did not say to include verification just gave me an place on the app to put my work experience. Anyhow, I had to have a hearing (legal and all that) to appeal my priliminary denial, which I did win. I only added a few documents, by way of exhibts during my hearing to get me over the top. My recommendation to you is read the requirements a few times, and then go section by section and as you have that covered with the correct paperwork move on to the next. I did do that but apparently not good enough.

Good luck

amflou

George,
The test is administered by Pearson/Vue and is the ICC test. You can find some more info at www.iccsafe.com about the test. You have 5 hours for 100 questions. You are allowed to take your own code book into the test. It can be tabbed and highlighted, no pencil marks.

The test itself is the typical find the answer in the book as quick as you can test. It did not have any difficult calculation questions. Most of the questions were finding direct code passages in the book. They had a blueprint that they referenced and you had to answer questions based on finding information from the drawing (not hard at all).

You could also go to Quincy and take their test if you wanted, it was about the same difficulty at the ICC test.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.