Unfinished Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Recently ran into a situation that has made me question local "designer". Here is the situation: This is a commercial building with multiple rooms. The problem at this time is a room will be deemed as unfinished to be used as a mechanical room. This room will be above grade and at a later date will indeed become a finished room. The designer drew his plans requiring all receps in this room to be mounted 3'6" to the center of the box. I didn't have a chance to chat with him yet, but I do not see any requirements in code stating this. At best I would say I would GFCI protect these even though I don't believe that is required.

I would like to place receps in this room the same as any other room considering I can't find any code reference stating otherwise. Can anyone give me some info?

hurk27

Recently ran into a situation that has made me question local "designer". Here is the situation: This is a commercial building with multiple rooms. The problem at this time is a room will be deemed as unfinished to be used as a mechanical room. This room will be above grade and at a later date will indeed become a finished room. The designer drew his plans requiring all receps in this room to be mounted 3'6" to the center of the box. I didn't have a chance to chat with him yet, but I do not see any requirements in code stating this. At best I would say I would GFCI protect these even though I don't believe that is required.

I would like to place receps in this room the same as any other room considering I can't find any code reference stating otherwise. Can anyone give me some info?

There is no receptacle placement requirment for commercial buildings in the NEC like there is for a dwelling, and even at that its 51/2' above the floor for a dwelling, so placing them at 3' 6" center would not be a problem, I say its his design, do it and make money.

Also there is no requirment for a receptacle to be GFCI protected if the floor is above grade, 210.8 clearly states
that have a floor
located at or below grade level
for the requirment, so save your money.

Strahan

There is no receptacle placement requirment for commercial buildings in the NEC like there is for a dwelling, and even at that its 51/2' above the floor for a dwelling, so placing them at 3' 6" center would not be a problem, I say its his design, do it and make money.

Also there is no requirment for a receptacle to be GFCI protected if the floor is above grade, 210.8 clearly states for the requirment, so save your money.

Thanks for the reply! I was pretty sure I wasn't crazy (well ok maybe). Yes I agree GFCI is not required that was just an idea to try and apease him. I'll talk to him.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.