Determining Facility Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickl382

What is the best way to determine what voltage the lighting fixtures in a facility are actually configured for?

Are you able to tell by simply by looking at a lighting panel for 480/277 if the fixtures were set up for 480 or 277?

Can you do this without using a volt-meter?

How often are lighting fixtures running at 480 V ?

Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming a normal install, the 480 volt lights would be on two pole breakers, or sometimes on 3 pole, and the 277 on single pole breakers, but if this is a recent install, 210.4(B) may result in the 277 volt lights being on 3 pole breakers.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I dislike the way that section is worded. It's just like 310.4, using the phrase "shall be permitted" when they intend to say "shall only be permitted."

It really looks as though they intend to keep 480V circuits away from lighting indoors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I dislike the way that section is worded. It's just like 310.4, using the phrase "shall be permitted" when they intend to say "shall only be permitted."

It really looks as though they intend to keep 480V circuits away from lighting indoors.
Well I got 310.4 changed for the 2011 code, but did not have much luck with the other places where the code tries to use a specific permission (shall be permitted) to prohibit other installation methods. The intended use of "shall be permitted" per the NEC style manual, is to act as an exception to permit other installation methods.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I agree it would be better if they just said "shall only be permitted".

But I think the very first sentance of 210.6 -

"The nominal voltage of branch circuits shall not exceed the values permitted by 210.6(A) through (E)."

- is a very long way to say "only". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.