120 volt counting device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

Howdy!

I wasn't sure which category to throw this one in, so I hope this is a reasonable fit.

A local fish hatchery recently installed a new drum filter machine for their streambed. It came as a package with the filter motor, pump, some other stuff, and a small control panel. Their system is up and running just fine, but they called me out to look at the viability of installing a little counting device that records how many times the drum filter activates in a normal cycle.

The drum filter runs based on the action of a float, and operates for an adjustable period of time (I think they have it set at 30 seconds now).

There is already an hour meter installed in the panel which I suppose you could mathematically use to figure out how many 30-second intervals have occurred, but they said they want a simple counter that increments by a value of 1 each time the filter starts. That way they can walk in, glance at the counter, and walk out without having to crunch numbers.

I haven't put much thought into it yet, but I figured if I can find a counter that will increment by 1 each time a voltage is applied to it, then I can just tie it into the control wire that starts the filter motor. The controls are 120 VAC. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a device like this?

Thanks!

dicklaxt

I am quite sure you are right in assuming that Redington Timer would work,most electromechanical timers use a simple pulsed voltage input.I am not sure if it would require the input voltage to be switched with a relay keeping the input clean or if you could just wire it in parallel with the motor,give em a call and let us know what and how this timer works.What is the pressbar on the front,it calls for a pushbutton reset but that is usually wired remote,,,,,,ow you got my curiosity going wide open.

dick

ericsherman37

What is the pressbar on the front,it calls for a pushbutton reset but that is usually wired remote,,,,,,ow you got my curiosity going wide open.

dick

I have a feeling that the Redington counter I linked is on the extreme low-end of the technology scale. The pushbutton is probably the reset. I don't think there's anything involved with this one other than an input signal.

ericsherman37

I am not sure if it would require the input voltage to be switched with a relay keeping the input clean or if you could just wire it in parallel with the motor

I fired them off an e-mail with this question. I strongly suspect that this device is so lo-fi that any old signal will work just fine to make it increment. But best to be sure :p

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.