Fluke 233 Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Has anyone tried out the fluke 233 meter? I was wondering if there are any ideas on how accurate this would be from say 30' way I believe that is what they state as the distance it works up to. Definilty would be nice if it works they way they say, I can't count how many times I was trouble shooting a piece of equipment and had my leads stretched so I could read it.

brian john

I can't think of a time I would use it. We do battery maintenance and often have our leads stretched out but the meter is still n hand or hung from a magnet.

Electric-Light

Example. You're checking out intermittent issues on a car. You can strap the meter body somewhere and have the meter inside without having to run 15' of wires through cracks and window.

wireguy8169

I can see the use for it and could have used it many a times, what I want to find out is it up to the task or are there any issues. You know how it goes sometimes something new has to have the bugs worked out and just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this meter. I am in the market for a new one and it looks like it maybe a good investment.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It probably could be useful in monitoring a circuit your troubleshooting, It would get you out of the arc flash boundry where you could remove the hot jacket and sight inhibiting faceshield.

jdsmith

I have a Fluke 233 and I have only used the wireless display in one application. I'm in a refinery with large outdoor process units. We mount our VFD's in substations and since the VFD enclosures are too small to terminate field wiring we wire all of the digital and analog points to a marshalling cabinet before going out into the process units to pushbuttons, etc. These marshalling cabinets are anywhere from 5-25 feet from the VFDs that are wired through them. When troubleshooting field controls I hang the meter from a magnet on the marshalling panel and put the leads on the point I want to measure. Then I have taken the display off and stuck it near the VFD so I can work on a computer that is plugged into the VFD at the same time I can see the voltage change when someone in the field presses buttons or flips switches.

There wouldn't be any issues with accuracy because a digital protocol is probably used between the base unit and display. I haven't gotten the display far enough from the base to lose the signal, but I've only used them up to 20 ft or so apart. It works as advertised in my experience.

I still have a pet peeve with Fluke that they don't offer the low impedance voltage function on very many meters. It's on the 289, 117, and T+ tester, maybe others I'm forgetting, but they don't make a standard industrial DMM like the 87-V with low impedance voltage. Yes, the 289 does everything except wash the supper dishes but there is a noticeable lag between when the physical quantity changes and when the display updates, worse than other autoranging digital meters. This is annoying when troubleshooting but I deal with it. I'm still waiting for the 1587 DMM/megger combo with a low impedance option - then I could finally carry one meter!

Last edited:

wptski

I have a Fluke 233 and I have only used the wireless display in one application. I'm in a refinery with large outdoor process units. We mount our VFD's in substations and since the VFD enclosures are too small to terminate field wiring we wire all of the digital and analog points to a marshalling cabinet before going out into the process units to pushbuttons, etc. These marshalling cabinets are anywhere from 5-25 feet from the VFDs that are wired through them. When troubleshooting field controls I hang the meter from a magnet on the marshalling panel and put the leads on the point I want to measure. Then I have taken the display off and stuck it near the VFD so I can work on a computer that is plugged into the VFD at the same time I can see the voltage change when someone in the field presses buttons or flips switches.

There wouldn't be any issues with accuracy because a digital protocol is probably used between the base unit and display. I haven't gotten the display far enough from the base to lose the signal, but I've only used them up to 20 ft or so apart. It works as advertised in my experience.

I still have a pet peeve with Fluke that they don't offer the low impedance voltage function on very many meters. It's on the 289, 117, and T+ tester, maybe others I'm forgetting, but they don't make a standard industrial DMM like the 87-V with low impedance voltage. Yes, the 289 does everything except wash the supper dishes but there is a noticeable lag between when the physical quantity changes and when the display updates, worse than other autoranging digital meters. This is annoying when troubleshooting but I deal with it. I'm still waiting for the 1587 DMM/megger combo with a low impedance option - then I could finally carry one meter!
Their SV-225(I think that's the number) stray voltage adapter is a option.

Electric-Light

It uses 2.4GHz ISM. My 2.4GHz phone fights with my WiFi. I hear tick-tick-tick in my phone and my WiFi disconnects.

I replaced my phone with DECT 1.8GHz and they stopped fighting. So, one thing I'd look into is interaction with WiFi and cordless phones.

PetrosA

It uses 2.4GHz ISM. My 2.4GHz phone fights with my WiFi. I hear tick-tick-tick in my phone and my WiFi disconnects.

I replaced my phone with DECT 1.8GHz and they stopped fighting. So, one thing I'd look into is interaction with WiFi and cordless phones.

Speaking of phones and Flukes - On another forum two guys have now bricked their 87-Vs by using a cell phone within a few inches of the meter while the meter was on. The first did it by accident, the second was testing his after reading the OP's story. Still no answer on how Fluke is going to handle their cases, but I thought I'd give a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.