Commercial Garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicar

On a wall I have a 220v compressor with a wall mounted disconnect, a tire machine and a tire balance machine. Both machines have a 110v cord. Can I install on the wall behind each machine a 110v single recept ? The rest of the shop have g.f.c.i convience recepts.

DARUSA

Wath is the classification of th area?
If you place it more than 18" AFF you will be ok if this area is unclassified !!!!
Gfci is required

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
a tire machine and a tire balance machine. Both machines have a 110v cord.

Gfci is required

How does the above meet the description below? What am I missing?

511.12 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.

All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in areas where electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment are to be used shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

eprice

How does the above meet the description below? What am I missing?

I believe you are asking, how are a tire machine and a tire balance machine considered to be electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment? I guess they could be considered to be diagnostic equipment, but that would be a stretch.

The code section quoted only requires that the electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment be used in the same area, which becomes a judgment call. Is the whole shop floor the same area? Maybe the tire machines are installed close to where the hand tools are used, and thus in the same area. Its hard to say without seeing it.

kwired

Electron manager
I would not consider the tire machine and balance machine as diagnostic equipment or portable hand tools, but I have also been around. If there is a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt receptacle in a convenient location it will get used for these types of things.

I would install the GFCI and move on, it doesn't hurt to install it even if it is not required. And don't ask me, what if it trips, or I will ask you what if you are electrocuted. It is not likely to trip unless there is a problem and it is doing what it is designed to do.

cadpoint

I believe you are asking, how are a tire machine and a tire balance machine considered to be electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment? I guess they could be considered to be diagnostic equipment, but that would be a stretch.

The code section quoted only requires that the electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment be used in the same area, which becomes a judgment call. Is the whole shop floor the same area? Maybe the tire machines are installed close to where the hand tools are used, and thus in the same area. Its hard to say without seeing it.

May all inspectors be so liberal walking into a commerical garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.