plug ends ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timrizzo

when getting in new equipment such as small portable water heaters for molding machines that move around from one machine to the next or one of many other pcs of equipment that are not supplied with a plug or wiring why can i supply the proper plug to fit its needs . but whats wrong with replacment of a ul approved cord end on lets say a shop vac? many equipment suppliers do not state what type of recepticle and plug to use they only expect you to use the proper type ? there is arguement in our shop as to what is wrong and right.i read alot but only get more confused HELP

ceb58

when getting in new equipment such as small portable water heaters for molding machines that move around from one machine to the next or one of many other pcs of equipment that are not supplied with a plug or wiring why can i supply the proper plug to fit its needs . but whats wrong with replacment of a ul approved cord end on lets say a shop vac? many equipment suppliers do not state what type of recepticle and plug to use they only expect you to use the proper type ? there is arguement in our shop as to what is wrong and right.i read alot but only get more confused HELP

Some equipment will state that it can be used with cord and plug some wont, its all in the listing of the equipment.
As far as replacement of an end in some cases even if it is a UL listed plug there are some OSHA rules that will not allow it.
When I worked maint. in the prison system we had our own in-house safety inspectors. This one lady was adimate that we replace the factory 2 prong plugs on buffers with a 3 prong. She was almost in hysterics when I refused to replace them. When I calmed her down I explained the real world to her. #1 the buffer has a UL listed double insulated motor there for there is no EGC in the cord to hook to the third prong. #2 You are changing the UL listed design of the equipment which will in-turn void any warranties and if someone were to get shocked or injured then the liability would be on us. After some calls to our engineering dept. that item was removed from their "to check for list"

wireguru

as I recall, osha allows field assembled extension cords made from bulk cord, plug, and connector. they do not allow repair of a factory assembled extension cord by cutting an end off and replacing with a new plug or connector

Status
Not open for further replies.