Compliant? You make the call

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Assuming it's a service, I would reject on 250.24(A), but it also appears to be a violation of 250.8 and 250.12, IMHO.

ivsenroute

1) This service is located inside
2) The wood is a non-issue as this is being presented as an NEC issue only. And BTW, the building code would NOT require the wood to be treated

I thought this simple situation would make for some great debate and opinion and it looks like it did. This is not how anyone here would do the work but other than the threading issues are there really any other code violations???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
1) ................are there really any other code violations???

From 250.24
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Again I do not see 250.24(A) as the violation.

I do agree with 250.8.

How do you get around the section I quoted ?
The GEC are not connected ahead of or to the neutral bar.
The current flow is dependent on the conductivity of the steel enclosure which, as I understand it, is one thing we try to avoid.

hurk27

250.4(5) ?

250.4(5) is for fault current path, which is not the purpose of the GEC.

If you put together 250.24(A) with 250.24(A)(4) you will see where they don't want a screw as a pathway for the GEC, it is only where the pathway is a wire(sized in 250.66) or a buss bar is it allowed to land somewhere else, unless it is ahead of the main disconnect.

I seen many inspectors allow it to land on the separate grounding bar that is supplied in some panels, and you can if you install a 250.66 wire between the neutral bussbar and the grounding bar, but even the factory screws can not be used as this pathway, it must be a wire or bussbar 250.24(A)(4);)

hurk27

Now my question is?

Is this a service disconnect?

We use the R-3 version of these QO disconnects for trailer disconnects, and as you can see in the photo, there is only one lug for a GEC on the neutral bar, they do make a small grounding bar for it, but it wont take a #4 conductor (which is not needed for a 100 amp service) the only way to do these if you have more then one GEC landing, is to tap the other GEC to the main GEC, the #4 can go into the lug on the neutral bar and using a split bolt tap the #6 to the #4 just outside the disconnect, these disconnects do not have much room in them to tap inside them, and are hard enough to even get the service conductors in them, I have never used one for a service, just a feeder disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.