HVAC contractors and NEC responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

The panel is existing, the HVAC ductwork is new. There is nothing in the mechanical code against this and if there is not any electrical work or electrical permits for this job, how can this be addressed?

IMAG0003.jpg

ceb58

IMO, The HVAC guy needs to move the duct...

Agree, the HVAC install has now created a code violation.
It is similar to my first res. lift pump install I was going to tap off of the out side recp. for power. The plumber told me that it had to be a dedicated 20amp. circ. No where in the NEC dose it address this. But it is specified in plumbing code. So it would have been a violation.

Jim W in Tampa

Was there a permit for th AC work ? If so send the address and picture to that inspector. He goofed if he signed it off. We are required to comply with all codes not just the one we do. Duct needs removed and a red tag on job. A stop work order could be placed on job. Are a few other ways but should not need to go that far. Perhaps send notice to owner that if not corrected within --- days a fine and / or power stopped may happen. That should get attention. Maybe what your looking at is a home owners work.
Am bit confused with your profile, are you an inspector and if so for what and who

ivsenroute

I am both the electrical and mechanical inspector.

The job was failed and he was given 2 choices:

1) Move the panel
2) Move the duct

growler

IMO, The panel needs to be moved, electricians have to eat to. :D

Of course ! :D what was I thinking.:-?..

I'm certainly glad that someone can take a joke as a joke and not be so serious.

I would guess that a violation would be written against the homeowner and he could make a choice to either move the duct or the panel. They may have put the duct close to the wall thinking it would be out of the way for a basement finish.

Jim W in Tampa

I am both the electrical and mechanical inspector.

The job was failed and he was given 2 choices:

1) Move the panel
2) Move the duct
That might not be easy choice but is the right call. Sometimes you simply can't run duct any other way. If they lower the panel and install ceiling over area could they pass the 6 foot 6 inch rule ?

ivsenroute

They opted to move the duct. There was plenty or room on the other side of the basement and this was simply poor planning on the HVAC end.

cadpoint

The HVAC contractor has there own requirement of three feet infront of their own deviced equipment! Three feet infront of a in-line VFD (variable flow device) is a prime example.

I want to hear more of the none premit/inspection part ... :)

Better yet how did this come about ? IE how did this come to your attention ?

hurk27

Could you legally install a ceiling that low?

That was what I was thinking, unless that panel cover is sitting on something, that panel can't be more then 36" to its bottom, its a HOM1200 30/40 which is about 30" high which is 66" to it's top, which to me says that duct is somewhere around 55" off the floor? but then the cover could just be sitting on something after all:grin:

Jim W in Tampa

That was what I was thinking, unless that panel cover is sitting on something, that panel can't be more then 36" to its bottom, its a HOM1200 30/40 which is about 30" high which is 66" to it's top, which to me says that duct is somewhere around 55" off the floor? but then the cover could just be sitting on something after all:grin:

Now thats a good catch.

norcal

Not a HOM panel, it's ITE or ITE/Siemens.(Depends on the age).:D

Jim W in Tampa

Sounds good to me.

I never did understand why some people would think they need to only follow one specific code for any type of install.

You cannot violate other codes while following one code.

They do it because they simply do not know all the other trades. I have never even seen the code book for the other trades. NEC is hard enough but this is why we need inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.