How much to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Boy I'm so glade I'm in Indiana, both tr's and AFCI's were pulled from our codes, even in new construction.

And here anything that is replaced with the like same device is just a common repair and does not have to meet the new codes, even a panel if replaced with the same current rating is not an upgrade.
I have changed a few old fuse boxes with a breaker panel of the same rating, and all that was required was a repair permit.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So no ACFIs for the bedrooms? I do not have the 2005 in front of me but doesn't it require AFCIs?
You don't need the 2005 NEC. What you need is a copy of the NJ Code Communicator that Tonype posted here :http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/ccc...on_article.pdf .

And to answer your question, no, you do not need AFCI's or TR's in bedrooms if you are installing them under the conditions I previously described. And, that's only in NJ. I can't speak to the rules for any other states.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You don't need the 2005 NEC. What you need is a copy of the NJ Code Communicator that Tonype posted here :http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/ccc...on_article.pdf .

And to answer your question, no, you do not need AFCI's or TR's in bedrooms if you are installing them under the conditions I previously described. And, that's only in NJ. I can't speak to the rules for any other states.

I re-read that article. It is very confusing but in the article it says that AFCIs are required for bedrooms.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can see how this can be confusing. I believe this is the section of the Code Communicator you are referring to :
Example: A conductor is to be replaced with a new one that contains loads that do not exceed the original branch circuit. The existing branch circuit does not need to be replaced with one that has arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection. However, if a new branch circuit is installed and serves a bedroom, then arc-fault circuit interrupter protection is required.
We bring this up at our contractors' association meetings every time we have a CEU class sponsored by the DCA and it gets explained just as I have stated. You can gut a house down to the studs and as long as you don't change the footprint or elevation of the house you do not need to install AFCI's or TR receptacles.

I think part of the reasoning is that if you had to install a receptacle for say a window air conditioner in an older home and the house had a Zinsco or Federal panel you obviously couldn't install an AFCI breaker. By the same token, if that same homeowner put a small addition onto the back of their house, and if the electrical service wasn't getting upgraded, you would have to install a sub-panel that would accept AFCI breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.