Type of receptacle box used for stone veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWS

I was curious what type of box others may use for receptacles installed in 1-1/2" thin stone veneer on exterior walls? The builder provided me with mounting blocks pre-formed with a 13 cu in handy box. Two concerns/questions: 1) is there a problem with the handybox meeting code for damp/wet location, and 2) it does not have enough space for two NM 14/2wires. Has anyone else run into this situation and what options do I have?

Thanks!

Buck Parrish

10 cu in. or 12 cu in. with a clamp would be all you need for an outlet with 14-2 NM.

I used metal cut in boxes with ears. Then I flipped the ears around.
But I was able to put my box in before the stone went up. Also I was able to cut out a little behind the box so it would sit back a little further...

JWS

Thanks for the idea, but I should have specified more clearly, the mounting block is also thin stone ... not plastic or vinyl as used with siding. It is manufactured to match and be used with the stone. That kind of limits options.

JWS

10 cu in. or 12 cu in. with a clamp would be all you need for an outlet with 14-2 NM.

I used metal cut in boxes with ears. Then I flipped the ears around.
But I was able to put my box in before the stone went up. Also I was able to cut out a little behind the box so it would sit back a little further...
I have two 14/2 wires, though to jump to another receptacle. 7*2 = 14 cu in. The trouble is I'm supposed to use these premanufactured blocks with the handybox. According to the masons they do not make the blocks with other size boxes and "we use these all the time".

JWS

Not sure if this went through so I'll try again .... I should have been clearer about the mounting block. It is not the type you would use for vinyl siding. It is manufactured stone with an integral handybox. It matches the stone and the homeowner insists on using them. As far as the cu in, I have two 14/2 wires since I am feeding more receptacles so 7*2 = 14 cu in. These blocks don't seem to be code compliant, but the mason said they are all they use.:-?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not sure if this went through so I'll try again .... I should have been clearer about the mounting block. It is not the type you would use for vinyl siding. It is manufactured stone with an integral handybox. It matches the stone and the homeowner insists on using them. As far as the cu in, I have two 14/2 wires since I am feeding more receptacles so 7*2 = 14 cu in. These blocks don't seem to be code compliant, but the mason said they are all they use.:-?

Can you run only one 14/2 cable and make the box fill compliant?

WinZip

I was curious what type of box others may use for receptacles installed in 1-1/2" thin stone veneer on exterior walls? The builder provided me with mounting blocks pre-formed with a 13 cu in handy box. Two concerns/questions: 1) is there a problem with the handybox meeting code for damp/wet location, and 2) it does not have enough space for two NM 14/2wires. Has anyone else run into this situation and what options do I have?

Thanks!

Whats wrong with a 4 in sq box with 1/2 - 3/4 in raised cover like we put in block walls when roughing in buildings.

JWS

I guess I could use a j-box(es) and only run one 14/2 to each stone block (receptacle). That would certainly address the fill issue. I thought someone may have seen or used another type of manufactured mounting block ... I can't use the typical masonry (mud) box w/ extension ring because the homeowner/builder wants to use these particular matching device blocks.

Thanks for the discussion. I have visited the forum many times, but never initiated a post. I really appreciate the info.:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the discussion. I have visited the forum many times, but never initiated a post. I really appreciate the info.:)

You're welcome, and feel free to ask whatever other electrical stuff is on your mind. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.