Inspector Certifications Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallica5

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to begin on becoming a certified Electrical Inspector. I am a licensed master and contractor in Virginia and Connecticut. I am in the metro Washington DC area where there are outdoor electrical projects as well as indoor construction. I am closing my doors and looking for a position in the inspections area.
Since I don't have a specific job I'm looking at with specific certifications, Is there certifications I should get to at least have before I begin applying to positions?

metallica5

Thanks for the info. Is it recommended to be certified by both organizations? I'm asking due to having too many certification and license fees yearly. Not to mention all the continuing education and the fees that go along with that. Would be nice to have nationally recognized licenses.

bphgravity

I would only recommend to obtain the certifications necessary for licensure or that are required to legally work in the jurisidiction.

I believe DC recognizes the ICC certifications only. You can search iccsafe.org/certifications to view a list of state certification requirements. (The website is down right now)

If you look in the IAEI magazine or online at the CEI Registry, there are no certified inspectors from Maryland or the DC area. There are few from Virginia. So, the IAEI certification is likely not recognized there...

metallica5

Thanks Bryan, I will check into your suggestion. Just happens that I am in Northern Virginia so looks like I'll have to check into both. I know there are others forces involved against some sort of nationally recognized licensing!

Status
Not open for further replies.