damaged lighting what to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8lectric

Hi guys,

I have a customer who was re roofing his house and a storm came in a poured 1.5 inches of water into his house.

The question is, Do I tell his insurance CO that he should replace all the lights with new ones? They did fill up with water as I got soaked taking a few globes down the other day.

Insurance Lady is fine with new ceiling fans, but she has heard that the lights should be fine and is asking me what I think.

I think they should be replaced, but don't know how to say why.

Any help would be great.

Buck Parrish

The problem is the connection points will coroad.

I think the listing is that if indoor wire gets wet it should be replaced. Or in this case , perhaps re-wired.
Personally , I think the lights would be okay. But you'll want to go by the book when dealing with an insurance company.
After all it's the same company that will have to pay if thier is a fire.

You should get a permit if you haven't all ready.

The problem is the connection points will coroad.

I think the listing is that if indoor wire gets wet it should be replaced. Or in this case , perhaps re-wired.
Personally , I think the lights would be okay. But you'll want to go by the book when dealing with an insurance company.
After all it's the same company that will have to pay if thier is a fire.

You should get a permit if you haven't all ready.

I have to agree with Buck on this one. I would recommend a full rewire for safety and to hopefully prevent any issues. The insurance will not be happy about it, but tell them a full rewire at minimum will save them money in the long run. They should be more willing to fully rewire than to do it by piecemeal and risk a fire. Now having said that, if the insurance company doesn't want a full rewire, warn them that you will not be held responsible for any damage that occurs on sections they you do not work on. (while i am not a lawyer, my father is and I have learned a lot from him)

hardworkingstiff

Here is the NEMA standard

Good read zog, thanks.

I copied this from the article.
Items Requiring Complete Replacement:
? Any wire or cable that is listed for dry locations only, such as type NM-B cable, should be
replaced if it has been exposed to water.

Now my question.

How many ECs work from an open bed truck and leave rolls of romex in the bed during rain or snow storms then install it? Is that a violation of the posted standard?

Buck Parrish

Good read zog, thanks.

I copied this from the article.

Now my question.

How many ECs work from an open bed truck and leave rolls of romex in the bed during rain or snow storms then install it? Is that a violation of the posted standard?

Hahaa I would say yes. It's a violation. Strip the wire you will see the copper has started to change. I don't know what happens to the Insulation. We use box trucks, I don't like the rain destroing all our material.

mlnk

I work in an area where hundreds of houses get flooded about every 10 years. On permitted jobs the AHJ wants NM tested with a megger prior to re-use. Wire in conduit is allowed to have the devices replaced. Lots of people just re-energize panels, GFCIs, switches, receptacles that have been submerged and go for it...they think if it works, then it must be safe!!

k8lectric

Perfect, This is what I'm sending to the insurance CO. I agree with NEMA. Insurance Company's are fast to settle a claim. I guess they could take a gamble that nothing might happen for several years, and maybe that time the owners will have a different insurance co? Or they might drop him as soon as they settle, and some other insurance co will have the problem? I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Thanks for the good read!!
K-

Hi guys,

I have a customer who was re roofing his house and a storm came in a poured 1.5 inches of water into his house.

The question is, Do I tell his insurance CO that he should replace all the lights with new ones? They did fill up with water as I got soaked taking a few globes down the other day.

Insurance Lady is fine with new ceiling fans, but she has heard that the lights should be fine and is asking me what I think.

I think they should be replaced, but don't know how to say why.

Any help would be great.

I think that this may be a case of selective hearing or tone-deafness. THe lady may have heard that the 'lampos should be OK" but what may have been said that the lightbulbs - being sealed - maybe re-suable after some contact cleaning, drying. Even though they should be a drop in the bucket compared to all that needs to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.