Track lighting / Current limiters

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Can anyone tell me about current limiters for track lighting?

We are getting a lot of service calls for track lights that are out and the problem is a tripped current limiter.

What code requires this 'extra' protection?

These limiters are in the 2, 3 4 amp range supplying 20 amp rated tracks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Its the Energy Conservation Code. Either the IECC or ASHRAE 90.1, or something similar (from what I've seen on this forum - its title 24 in Calif.)

The Energy Conservation Code (I'll call it the IECC for short - which is normally pronounced as "the ick" ) basically rations how much lighting power an owner can install in his building. A typical office building is limited to 1 watt per square foot of building space. A 5000 sq ft building would have to have less than 5000 watts of light fixtures installed.

The IECC is supposed to be checked during the permit process, and during building inspections. There is a Comm-Check form most designers have to fill out and submit to show compliance. That can be found at www.energycodes.gov

Anyhow, since anyone can add additional fixtures to a line voltage track without a permit, the track has to counted as 30 watts per linear foot. That basically made track lighitng almost obsolete.

However, if you put a 4 amp current limiter on a 120V track, then you can count the track as 480 watts, no matter how long the track is.

My guess is that you are seeing a lot of tripped limiters because people are trying to put more wattage on the track than the current limiter is designed for. In effect, they are probably trying to get around the IECC.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
NO i do not Know at this time but here is a link to califonia energy law.http://search.ca.gov/search?q=cache...g_standards/Subchapter2_119_rev33-15-day.pdf+ track+lighting+current+limiters&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=xfix&output=xml_no_dtd&client=xfix

there is nothing in 410.151 that talks about current limiters for trac lights. so this may only be in california.

the mass buildimg code is new 7th adition there may be some info about this in there.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, yeah MA adopted 'icky' on 1/1/10.

Newbies :grin:

Jan 2010 is probably when Ma went to the 2009 IECC. They probably had an earlier version before that (2007, or 2004).

Illinois has been under some version of the IECC since at least 2006, and we aren't usually considered one of the more progressive states :)

Status
Not open for further replies.