Any one have a graphic for "pool bonding/grid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I am constantly meeting pool contractors that can't seem to grasp Art. 680.26 Even after they are shown the code in black and white, they still mess it up. So I was wondering if any one had a drawing or graphic I could print to show them.
680.26 (B)(2), the "unpaved surface" part is almost always not understood by them.
I am not a fan of "Pool installers" :cool: I had one guy argue with me that he didn't need to run a ground wire in a PVC conduit going to a PVC box because,"There is no place to connect it". (120 volt, 4 conductors, keyed momentary switch for the pool cover)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Thanks Buck.
That is close to what I need, but the part I am looking for is more the "walking surface" around the pool. I seem to always be explaining that,"it dosn't matter what the surface is, concrete, stone, pavers, lawn, dirt,etc." it needs equipotential bonding per 680.26(B)(2)

Last edited:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The "green lines" showing the bonding of the heater and pool motor are drawn to the deck (the walking surface.) At least that's the way it looks to me.

dicklaxt

I read 680.26(B)(2) to cover it and in particular 680.26(B)(2)(b)(1)&(5).I read that to include the unpaved area and agree with you it is a must but admittedly it is hard to ferret that out as to me it is poorly written and should be more exacting,,,,,,,on the other hand if I can understand it then anyone should be able to.:);)

dicklaxt

The Graphic above shows the requirement when rebar or reenforcing steel in the paved surface and pool shell is available for bonding,if the pool shell was nonconductive then a grid (copper wire mesh) would be needed below and around the shell and then when this ties to the to the equipment area network underground it has to comply with 680.26(B)(2)(b)(5)
IMHO

dick

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
711ecmCSfig21.jpg

061809CQweb.jpg

WinZip

I am constantly meeting pool contractors that can't seem to grasp Art. 680.26 Even after they are shown the code in black and white, they still mess it up. So I was wondering if any one had a drawing or graphic I could print to show them.
680.26 (B)(2), the "unpaved surface" part is almost always not understood by them.
I am not a fan of "Pool installers" :cool: I had one guy argue with me that he didn't need to run a ground wire in a PVC conduit going to a PVC box because,"There is no place to connect it". (120 volt, 4 conductors, keyed momentary switch for the pool cover)

Try these links you may see what you need.

http://cmiwebsite.com/index.html

This link shows partial grid Installed.

www.dom.com/about/safety/pdf/pool_equi_bond.pdf

WinZip

Also even if wooden decks are built to the pool wall or completely around the pool you will need the grid an it must be covered or at least 3-6 inches deep under said wooden decks,trust me we were busted on one that had wooden deck built to front side of a pool an didn't put the grid under the deck due to framing but had to in the end an cover with dirt 6 inches.

Cavie

The Graphic above shows the requirement when rebar or reenforcing steel in the paved surface and pool shell is available for bonding,if the pool shell was nonconductive then a grid (copper wire mesh) would be needed below and around the shell and then when this ties to the to the equipment area network underground it has to comply with 680.26(B)(2)(b)(5)
IMHO

dick

In Florida, soild #8 takes the place of the wire mesh. A ring around the pool connected to the shell in 4 places equally divided.

WinZip

Hi Cavie,

They may go with that here also before January from what I heard , that's primarily what we have done in the past is #8 loop around the pool and bonding all metal parts to it then onto the pump room.

The grid mesh is expensive an PITA at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.