smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickruck

I am upgrading a service to a 200 amp with 2 room addition. Do I need to add a smoke detector in the new bedroom or should I do the rest of the house also..

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am upgrading a service to a 200 amp with 2 room addition. Do I need to add a smoke detector in the new bedroom or should I do the rest of the house also..

welcome to the forum it depends on what state you are in.
in mass we have to hard wire the hole house when doing an addition it is in the bulding code.

glene77is

Rick,

In our areas,
one town uses the 'added/moved a wall' to determine
whether to bring the recepticals up to code for the 6'/12' rule,
calling our work just a repair/renovate job.

But then, they also required hard-wired smoke detectors in the whole house.

I checked with the Code Enf. along the way, and we got along good.
IMO, it depends on the jurisdiction.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in New Jersey you would not be required to install any smoke alarms for a service upgrade.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For an addition, I've had to wire it for smokes as usual, interconnected with (at least) one new one within the existing structure where they meet.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As others have mentioned you'll have to check with your respective State for their requirements. I'm in NJ and I can't find the section in the NJ Uniform Construction Code so I'll try this from memory. If anyone out there has the correct info would you please post it ?

If the addition being installed to the residence represents 5% or less than the largest floor area of a single room you are permitted to install battery operated smoke alarms (one on each level). If the addition represents an area greater than 5% but less than 20% you are permitted to install battery operated smoke alarms in each bedroom and on each level. If the area of the addition is 20% or greater you are required to install interconnected 120 volt smoke alarms with battery back-up in all bedrooms, combo smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in common areas in hallways near bedrooms and on each level (not to exceed a total of 12 interconnected units)

JohnE

welcome to the forum it depends on what state you are in.
in mass we have to hard wire the hole house when doing an addition it is in the bulding code.

Only if the addition includes a bedroom. If you add two rooms that are not bedrooms you do not need to upgrade smokes.

Split Bolt

On jobs I have done in the past, I would figure-out how to tie mine into the existing system before giving a price and include that, even if not required. A quick talk with any reasonable homeowner would convince them that their family's safety would be worth the extra $$$! EASY SELL! Even if the existing system is a discontinued model, factor-in changing ALL of them to new! I have, in many houses, added smokes in all of the upstairs bedrooms tied-into the existing hallway smoke. 3 pop-ins, some 14/3 romex and 3 new SDs is a great improvement to any house!

Status
Not open for further replies.