Encountered breaker almost installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagyar

I went out on a service call yesterday that kind of amazed me. Client complained that "quad" style c/b was having tripping problems. Took a look at the panel and c/b in question; found that the breaker hadn't been totally engaged onto the buss stabs. Every time she thought it was tripping it was just actually losing contact with the buss, she then operated the c/b which temporarily restored contact, then a few days later it would repeat.
She had called a repairman for the garage door as that is the circuit that was being interrupted, his recomendation was for a new $400 opener.

When I asked how long the problem had been going on it had only been a month or so but didn't coinside with any recent repairs or maintainence. I guess it had been that way since being originally installed, which was 13 years.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
She had called a repairman for the garage door as that is the circuit that was being interrupted, his recomendation was for a new $400 opener.
I wonder if he would have refunded the $400, after it was proved that that did not solve the problem! :mad:

growler

I won't mention any names but there are EC service contractors that would have told here she needed a new panel.

That happen to one of my customers. They sold him a new panel and still didn't fix any of his problems.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Usually, the loose breakers I've found had never had the hold-down tab or hook on the other end of the breaker engaged on the panel guts.

I always ask why a person thinks they need an upgrade, and usually end up explaining why it won't increase existing circuits' capacities.

krisinjersey

First big service call

First big service call

The first big service call I went on was to an assisted living facility. I was really green and the mechanic I was with was a self proclaimed house mouse. (Bad dispatching)They had an entire floor of lights flickering, and a smell of smoke. Of course you call the electrician first, then the fire dept. We get there and open the main electrical room door to find some light smoke in the air. He starts looking at the bucket labels on the switchgear and finds a transformer feeder for a panel that does the house lighting. We pull off the covers. I ask him if all commercial breakers come with a backlight so you can see the screws when you tighten them. He says no, that must be new (Remember I'm green).Turns out the B phase screw was never landed into the buss and that was my backlight, the smoke was the smoldering breaker. If I'd have only known then....

Status
Not open for further replies.