Shared neutrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksab

Is there a limit to how many shared neutrals can be used in residential wiring? I had a panel on an inspection in Chicago that had eight circuits and only four neutrals. It is a new condo conversion of a 120 year old building.
Thanks in advance for the help. Yep I the new guy.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
no limit, but if you are under the '08 Code, 210.4(B) might make it less practical.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is there a limit to how many shared neutrals can be used in residential wiring? I had a panel on an inspection in Chicago that had eight circuits and only four neutrals. It is a new condo conversion of a 120 year old building.

I have never done any work in Chicago but, it sounds like something I would have done if I had.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Are you asking if each neutral can be shared by two ungrounded conductors?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

480sparky

What? They let cows do electrical work in Chicago? I hate to discriminate, but I don't give milk, cow's shouldn't do electrical.:grin:

Mrs. O'Leary's cow was a hack?!?!!?
z133.gif

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Made an udder mess of the job from what I know. :grin:

Man, where's Larry? I hate when I have to cover for him.

Funny, I always expect to see Larrys avatar when a joke is imminent.:grin:

I know, he must be on vacation.:grin:
Then, I flip the page and see all this stuff. :roll: Wow, that's some reputation I have here. :cool:

The truth is that I was working today, and had an estimate to look at afterward. :)

russ

This is a typical installation in Chicago and surrounding area. Every thing is in conduit and it makes sense to share neutrals, to cut down on load bearing conductors, and conduit fill.

Id say if your going to Home inspect in this area you might want to study the Chicago electrical code. Other wise your going to get a lot of things wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.