what is NPT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

NPT = National Pipe Thread or the US standard for tapered pipe thread dimensions and tolerances

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tapered threads are required by the NEC for RMC. I still occasionally see some NPSM or American Standard Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread dies on the job. Guys tell me that it allow the locknuts to go on easier. :roll:

344.28 Reaming and Threading.
All cut ends shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges. Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (?-in. taper per foot) shall be used.
FPN: See ANSI/ASME B.1.20.1-1983, Standard for Pipe Threads, General Purpose (Inch).

mxslick

Tapered threads are required by the NEC for RMC. I still occasionally see some NPSM or American Standard Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread dies on the job. Guys tell me that it allow the locknuts to go on easier. :roll:

Rob, I read that section as requiring field-threaded conduits to have tapered threads..so does that mean that factory-made threads can be non-tapered?

344.28 Reaming and Threading.
All cut ends shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges. Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (?-in. taper per foot) shall be used.
FPN: See ANSI/ASME B.1.20.1-1983, Standard for Pipe Threads, General Purpose (Inch).

I have never really paid attention to the type of threads on factory-threaded RMC. Maybe someone here can take a look at their inventory.

a.bisnath

can someone clarify?

can someone clarify?

there are 2 types of threads ,the tapered threads and the non-tapered or parallel threads ,taperd thresds are what I have always met in the field and in equipment assembly.Non tapered threads usually provide a more water tight seal,but,are there any specific places or applications where the parallel thread is to be used?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
there are 2 types of threads ,the tapered threads and the non-tapered or parallel threads ,taperd thresds are what I have always met in the field and in equipment assembly.Non tapered threads usually provide a more water tight seal,but,are there any specific places or applications where the parallel thread is to be used?
If non-tapered threads provide a more watertight seal, why does plumbing pipe use the same taper as we do? The only difference being that their couplings also use tapered threads.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Really? I thought rigid conduit and most fittings are straight threads? Isn't spinning on a lock nut the way to tell -- if it easily spins all along the thread, it is straight. If it gets tighter the further on the nut goes, eventually needing a wrench to turn it, then the threads are tapered?

I've had issues when buying conduit cut to length and then threaded with NPT threads -- the locknut that goes deepest may not easily go on as far as I would like. Or did the guy threading it just not thread enough of the pipe?

mtfallsmikey

Really? I thought rigid conduit and most fittings are straight threads? Isn't spinning on a lock nut the way to tell -- if it easily spins all along the thread, it is straight. If it gets tighter the further on the nut goes, eventually needing a wrench to turn it, then the threads are tapered?

I've had issues when buying conduit cut to length and then threaded with NPT threads -- the locknut that goes deepest may not easily go on as far as I would like. Or did the guy threading it just not thread enough of the pipe?

depends on the condition of the dies, and how far they are run up the pipe.....don't mind me, I'm just the house plumber

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If non-tapered threads provide a more watertight seal, why does plumbing pipe use the same taper as we do? The only difference being that their couplings also use tapered threads.
Our rigid couplings are what the plumbers call "thread protectors". They are a little longer than a [plumbing] pipe coupling.

Cmdr_Suds

NPT - National Pipe taper
NPS - National pipe straight

Tapered threads have a slight taper towards the end of the fitting. When the threads are mated and screwed together, they compress to form a seal. Pipe tape or joint compond is used more as a lubricant then for sealing. Rigid conduit has tapered threads. Lock nuts will work on NPT threads and will provide a mechanical connection but not a seal that might be needed to for a classified enviroment or to maintain the integirty of an enclosures rating. You would need a hub for that.

Straight (parallel) threads maintain the same diameter along their entire length. They're used for mechanical joining and serve one purpose?to hold a fitting in place. Straight threads require a seal to make a water tight connection. One use of straight threads is on explosion proof pilot operators. They thread into the cover of explosion proof enclosures (about a 1/2" thick) using 3/4" NPS threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.