Aluminum Wire in Service Masts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes G

Have any of you ever encountered problems with aluminum wire in service masts? If so, what type of problems were noted?

Wes G

Thanks for the replies. This has been my experience, but wanted feedback from others in the field

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use Al SE cable all of the time and have yet to have a problem. I would assume that a mast service would be the same. As mentioned it needs to be installed correctly in the first place.

Wes G

Thanks. Anybody out there with other experience? Any experience with burn outs at back of meter socket? Any differance in comparison between copper and aluminum for this application?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've only seen problems where water or moisture gets in, for example leaking roof flashing or cracked weatherhead, didn't have anything to do with the fact that the conductors were AL.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any experience with burn outs at back of meter socket?
Mine has been with illegal service upgrades, where the line-side conductors were never upsized, and a line-conductor lug burned open from the current.

Again, not just because it was aluminum.

norcal

There is nothing wrong with properly installed aluminum conductors.Copper is still the conductor of choice but AL is a legitimate method of cutting costs.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Any differance in comparison between copper and aluminum for this application?

Sure, Al is less expensive in most cases. As far as I know torque specs are the same for both. Anti-oxidant is only required as per manufactures specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.