Feeder Line Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgarcia

I am having a dispute with a city inspector. How do you size the feeders to an existing 4 unit multi-family apartment with four 100 amp panels? We are going to install a 4 gang meter can with 4 100 amp breakers. The inspector says we must size the feeders based on the specific load to the apaprtments.
I read the code #220.84 to say that the load should be 400 x 45% = 180. Am I missing something?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
220.84 says you should take 45% of the connected loads listed in 220.84(C), ie, 3va/sf lighting, 1500va for each sabc and laundry circuit, etc.

Not 45% of 400A, for 4-100A panels. Although, I'd imagine 45% of 400a would provide a higher value.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am having a dispute with a city inspector. How do you size the feeders to an existing 4 unit multi-family apartment with four 100 amp panels? We are going to install a 4 gang meter can with 4 100 amp breakers. The inspector says we must size the feeders based on the specific load to the apaprtments.
I read the code #220.84 to say that the load should be 400 x 45% = 180. Am I missing something?

You are missing the fact that the inspector is always right :)
(kidding guys, don't anyone get on a high horse)

I agree with David and technically the inspector is correct, Table 220.84 applies to the calculated load. ASSUMING the 100 amp is adequate for each apartment, also as David says, your number should be good as it would be high.

Status
Not open for further replies.