lightning damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbarone

I'm an EC, and was asked by an insurance company to check a houses
electrical wiring after a severe lightning strike. They wan't me to sign off
to the integrity of the wiring inside the walls. The home owner was told by another electrician that a test could be done to check his wiring. Do you think a simple meg of the system is enough.

cadpoint

Welcome to the Forum!

It's not a simple process to "meg" in reference to your last sentence.

There are many previous threads with replies about this process, that you can easily find use various terms, and with the use of Advanced Search, like lightning, lightning damage, etc.. you get the idea.

I for one would draw a map of the circuits on the house. Be it just simple boxes and devices!

I would also ask for the house to be vacated being the fact that there will be no power during your testing. Frankly you are going to ID everything and touch everything that's plugged in remove it and then replug it in (wich depends on how you write your contract...

I frankly would not depend on a meggar alone, circuit tracers will easy show "tone" to make a drawing fast and help isolate issues on the affected areas...

But

One problem with lightning is that it might rattle a device loose at the screw(s) that might or might not show up.

If my name was out there, I think I would want to touch every device, to know, and that includes everything passed by a meggar!

Anything that gets touched that breaks due to age, or stab-in receptacles,
out of date receptacles, previous broke receptacles, broke receptacles without ground, any odd work found, all should be priced ahead of time, or part of why your looking at the house. Ok let me say it this way if your Q.A. the House then how can U not bring it up to Code. Granted the price might not be covered by insurance but how can you say it's good if broken?

Tough call...

gbarone

Cadpoint, thank you for your input. I think your ideas will be very helpful.
this house is 4 stories and 7000 sq ft, so your process will take quite awile.
I just wan't to take every precausion, now that I will be completely liable.
Thanks again.

mxslick

I think Cad already mentioned it, but a VERY through visual inspection of ALL accessable wiring (and if you can get or rent one of those nifty "snake cams" to peer inside wall cavities) is a MUST.

Other threads here have pointed out that romex with the insulation completely blown off from a lightning strike can (and has) meggered as good.

Candidly, if it were me, I wouldn't sign off on this without inspecting (or replacing) EVERY INCH of wiring..it only takes one small bad spot to start a fire.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Candidly, if it were me, I wouldn't sign off on this without inspecting (or replacing) EVERY INCH of wiring..it only takes one small bad spot to start a fire.
And, make sure that statement is included in anything okaying any wire not being replaced.

In my opinion, the insurance company should be the one insisting that wall wire is replaced.

gbarone

LarryFine, I could not agree more about the insurance company taking more responsibility, and ultimately the home owner is pressing the issue. I would love to cam inside the walls but try selling that idea to an insurance company. Thank you for your thoughts.

dmagyar

Insurance company is looking to put you on the spot

Insurance company is looking to put you on the spot

gbarone, Whether or not they (the insurance co.) buy into having the in-wall examination is to me a moot point. They're looking for in this case "you" to commit that this house is OK. If thats the task, then do it like you'll be living there with your family for the next 20 years. If they don't OK it then you've got them committing on how far they want you to check that it's really OK. Get that in writting.

Basically they're trying to "jawbone" you into accepting their conditions for your say so that the house doesn't have any latent damage from the lighting strike. If you're OK with them setting the stage, which I see as a potential for a claim on your insurance and reputation then go for it, if not say so.

Without the in-wall examination you're just guessing and they stand to benefit in either case, if the house get its OK (from you), they pay you less, or you earn less by saying it's OK without the in-wall check then they go after you if it's not.

mxslick

LarryFine, I could not agree more about the insurance company taking more responsibility, and ultimately the home owner is pressing the issue. I would love to cam inside the walls but try selling that idea to an insurance company. Thank you for your thoughts.

Sir, it is YOUR reputation and liability on the line, and with the inspection cameras available for under $300 (the one in the link is $160) there is absolutely no excuse to not do an in-wall inspection.

Get THIS TOOL and add the cost to your bill.

I have a higher-priced but identical version and it has already on two jobs more than paid for itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.