Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepelec

Got me a new Droid.
Lets see how long this phone lasts before I break it. :)

Anybody care to chime in on some good work related apps?
Maybe Ugly's for a smart phone?

I hate to buy any to find they are not worth it.:mad:

Yes. Navalle Electrical Calculator

Yes. Navalle Electrical Calculator

Rant Alert: However, in my opinion I think this is a pretty crappy phone. I had to have it replaced after it was only 2 months old because it stopped connecting to the network. The replacement one they gave me has have the battery pulled out to reboot the thing about once a week because it gets locked up and won't connect to the network. Also, their is apparently no way to save an attached filed when it comes in on an e-mail. Oh yeah, and it really doesn't let you know when you've missed a call ether. I miss lots of calls and have to go look to see if I missed one, it won't let you know like the cheap phones all do.

ty

Rant Alert: However, in my opinion I think this is a pretty crappy phone. I had to have it replaced after it was only 2 months old because it stopped connecting to the network. The replacement one they gave me has have the battery pulled out to reboot the thing about once a week because it gets locked up and won't connect to the network. Also, their is apparently no way to save an attached filed when it comes in on an e-mail. Oh yeah, and it really doesn't let you know when you've missed a call ether. I miss lots of calls and have to go look to see if I missed one, it won't let you know like the cheap phones all do.

Best phone I ever had. It works flawlessly for me. I view this website on it and I'm typing this from my droid

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Best phone I ever had. It works flawlessly for me. I view this website on it and I'm typing this from my droid

Works for me too. I just came over to the Android operating system from two years of suffering with AT&T and Apple. I use the free version of the carpenter's level on occasion. There are some box size calculators too. Someone needs to get the NEC on this phone. :roll:

shepelec

The one I have is the Droid Incredible. I noticed there are a couple of different models. I know it wont be as durable as the Boulder I had so I made sure I have replacement insurance.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Bubble, TimeCatcher, StopWatch & Timer, Pire Wheel, Convert Pad, Documents to Go Full Version, Electric Motor Calculator and misc others.

Don't use a belt holder with a magnetic catch. The phone will think it is in Car Mode.

I don't like the keyboard but the phone has worked pretty well. Google maps is worthless once you get out of cell tower range. Navigation worked real well for driving to & in the big city last night but do not expect much battery life while the GPS is being used.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Last edited:

jes25

I have an HTC Aria on AT&T with the Android OS. Awesome phone love it. I wish someone had told me how fragile the touch screen is though. One drop from about four feet and......Crack! Get the insurance and a case if you are in the field.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I have the Droid X with verizon and it has to be by far the best phone that I've ever had! I can't wait till the software update comes out it's supposed to improve speed, battery life, and the camera. I like how you can view any web page you want and you can zoom in and out as well.:cool:

Buck Parrish

I have the Droid X - I got it for the 8 mgpixel camera. It takes some getting used to. But I can view and post to this forum.
So far I love it.
Esspeciaaly the flashlight app.
I have a base charger that turns it in to a clock radio with alarm, at night.

The truck base sticks to my windshield and it turns in to a GPS. It also charges it while it is on GPS.
You can talk to it to tell it wher to take you, No more typing. It's not perfected yet. But it works very well.

It plugs in to the truck radio. So when some one calls, the radio stops and you hear the phone ring. Then it is automatically on speaker phone.
I found the missed call button after a few days.
Verizon gives a free 2 hour seminar on how to use some of the features. I am going tommorow.​

shepelec

Thanks for all the info!!

I think back to my first phone, a "bag phone" when it was .75 a min with no contract. It was a mobile unit with a camcorder battery pack, it probably weighed 6 or 7 pounds. An internet must have been something used for fishing, Google was a mispronounciation of google and texting must of been something to do with a Typesetter.

One thing I don't miss about the good ole days, is installing services with an awl and screw driver.;)

Things sure have come a long way. I just hope I can remember it all.:)

360Youth

Search electrical on the Market. I have the apps on box and conduit fill, motors, conduit radius bending, and more. Droid X, BTW. The X has a feature that gives you a quick upload of photos to a location of your choice. I use it to send job pics to our shop email.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never had the urge to use my cellphone for anything but phone calls. I almost never even use the camera.

I have no interest in, nor time for, texting, browsing or forum'ing from my phone. That's what my computer is for.

I have a level for leveling, a calculator for calculating, a BlueTooth earpiece for hands-free use, and a GPS for driving.

Oh, yeah, I also have an NEC for the electrical code.

Verizon gives a free 2 hour seminar on how to use some of the features.
That two hours is necessary (according to Verizon, no less) says a lot.

StephenSDH

I've never had the urge to use my cellphone for anything but phone calls. I almost never even use the camera.

I have no interest in, nor time for, texting, browsing or forum'ing from my phone. That's what my computer is for.

I have a level for leveling, a calculator for calculating, a BlueTooth earpiece for hands-free use, and a GPS for driving.

That two hours is necessary (according to Verizon, no less) says a lot.

You gave up on the slide rule for calculating?

brian john

The Driod is a perfect phone if you are in high school, for business I need phone, email, IM all that other stuff you can keep...And I own a Droid had quite a few problems with the recent upgrade.

macmikeman

If they ever stick a phone (not a skype web app) into the Ipad, that will be the trigger to go buy one for me.

I don't care if I will look stupid talking into a gigantic shingle. I will be able to see the numbers on the screen, which is beyond my capability with most all the other current options available.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If they ever stick a phone (not a skype web app) into the Ipad, that will be the trigger to go buy one for me.
I like your iPod too. :D

boombox.jpg

I work with a guy who wants to use it just for that effect. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I got to tell ya, it is so handy having not only the NEC, but the ROPs/ROCs and a copy of my prints at my fingertips regardless of where I am. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.