AFCI's & SmartMeters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone one else experiencing this problem?

Action Line: Remodeler finds SmartMeter interference with circuit breakers

By Dennis Rockstroh
*deleted email*
Posted: 09/12/2010 04:08:39 PM PDT
Updated: 09/13/2010 06:13:55 AM PDT

Q One item you did not cover in your Sept. 7 SmartMeter article was interference with arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI).
This is a type of circuit breaker that code requires in new and remodel construction. Its job is to detect arcing, which has been shown to be a cause of fires.
Normal circuit breakers will not always break when arcing occurs. If arcing is detected by the AFCI, the breaker trips, stopping the potentially dangerous arc.
Long story short, I did some remodeling recently. City code required that I use an AFCI for one of the bedroom circuits that was being remodeled. Some weeks after I completed the remodel, the AFCI started tripping. This meant I had to inspect each junction box and outlet to determine where an arc might be occurring.
Coincidentally, the problem started not long after a SmartMeter was installed toward the end of the remodel.
Finally, after severe frustration, I phoned PG&E for help on this matter. A crew came out and looked at the AFCI breaker for a few seconds. One went to the truck and came back with a conventional meter, a mechanically driven version, and swapped it for the SmartMeter that was installed some days before.
It took some prodding, but eventually one of the PG&E crew told me that they have been observing that AFCIs are sensitive to the meter's radio transmissions.
Dave Zittin
San Jose

Last edited by a moderator:
new smart meters

new smart meters

if i pull a "smart meter" out of the meter socket, does the poco get a signal? if so, how long does it take for them to come to the property to check situation.

Hans

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Anyone one else experiencing this problem?

Action Line: Remodeler finds SmartMeter interference with circuit breakers

By Dennis Rockstroh
drockstroh@mercurynews.com
Posted: 09/12/2010 04:08:39 PM PDT
Updated: 09/13/2010 06:13:55 AM PDT

Q One item you did not cover in your Sept. 7 SmartMeter article was interference with arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI).
This is a type of circuit breaker that code requires in new and remodel construction. Its job is to detect arcing, which has been shown to be a cause of fires.
Normal circuit breakers will not always break when arcing occurs. If arcing is detected by the AFCI, the breaker trips, stopping the potentially dangerous arc.
Long story short, I did some remodeling recently. City code required that I use an AFCI for one of the bedroom circuits that was being remodeled. Some weeks after I completed the remodel, the AFCI started tripping. This meant I had to inspect each junction box and outlet to determine where an arc might be occurring.
Coincidentally, the problem started not long after a SmartMeter was installed toward the end of the remodel.
Finally, after severe frustration, I phoned PG&E for help on this matter. A crew came out and looked at the AFCI breaker for a few seconds. One went to the truck and came back with a conventional meter, a mechanically driven version, and swapped it for the SmartMeter that was installed some days before.
It took some prodding, but eventually one of the PG&E crew told me that they have been observing that AFCIs are sensitive to the meter's radio transmissions.
Dave Zittin
San Jose

THANKS:grin:For the info that has not happened here yet but hopfully it delays the install of smart meters for a long time to come :grin:100 years would be good:grin::grin::grin:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, if it's plug and play and just consists of an RF transmitter in the meter, my response would be "no way."

Some weeks after I completed the remodel, the AFCI started tripping. This meant I had to inspect each junction box and outlet to determine where an arc might be occurring.
Red flag. Methinks the troubleshooting might not have been very scientific.

George Stolz said:
Red flag. Methinks the troubleshooting might not have been very scientific.

Likely true. Nonetheless, AFCI have been a tremendous thorn in my side, with them constantly nuisance tripping when a customer plugs something in. Though in all honesty, since I changed from Square D Homeline to Murray, I haven't had an AFCI call back. HMMMMM.

The SmartMeter's evidently use a frequency that is commonly used for consumer products. I couldn't figure out what kept turning on my outside lights, until I read that many PG&E customers were complaining of the same thing after the SmartMeter installation. Yup, same frequency.

The SmartMeter installations have been a real debacle for PG&E. The only thing that has removed it from being an almost daily story in the local newspapers was the horrendous natural gas explosion here in the Bay Area of California. It's not been a good year for PG&E. That really brings a tear to my eye:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.