Mike Holt 314.23 (E) clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am needing some insight and clarification, please.

In Mike Holt's excellent book on the Changes to the 2008 NEC, he has a picture (sorry, do not know how to download) concerning 680.3, in which he states you must use 2 metal raceways to support a pool junction box, and then Mike references 314.23 (E) of the 2008 NEC.

I read 314.23(E), and I found nothing stating it had to be metal raceways. All it says is the enclosurers must have threaded entries or have hubs identified for that purpose, and the conduits have to be threaded wrenchtight.

Why can't you use 2 PVC male terminal adapters, thread them in wrenchtight, then glue in PVC conduit?

Also, I am totally confused on the exception to 314.23(E) where it states 4 different types of conduit may be used "to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit body constructed with only one conduit entry, provided the trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the largest trade size of the conduit or electrical metallic tubing". :-?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am needing some insight and clarification, please.

In Mike Holt's excellent book on the Changes to the 2008 NEC, he has a picture (sorry, do not know how to download) concerning 680.3, in which he states you must use 2 metal raceways to support a pool junction box, and then Mike references 314.23 (E) of the 2008 NEC.

I read 314.23(E), and I found nothing stating it had to be metal raceways. All it says is the enclosurers must have threaded entries or have hubs identified for that purpose, and the conduits have to be threaded wrenchtight.

Why can't you use 2 PVC male terminal adapters, thread them in wrenchtight, then glue in PVC conduit?

Also, I am totally confused on the exception to 314.23(E) where it states 4 different types of conduit may be used "to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit body constructed with only one conduit entry, provided the trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the largest trade size of the conduit or electrical metallic tubing". :-?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What page are you referencing in the book?

iwire

Staff member

That section requires the raceway to be threaded.

Cementing a male TA on the raceway does not make it a threaded raceway.

thanks!

thanks!

Thank you, Bob, I appreciate the response. Sometimes the obvious is hard to see until you get another perspective. I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.