Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

I looked at some mobile homes today, and for the most part, all the existing feeders seem complaint from the remote meter pole to the home. But once the feeders enter the home (crawl space), the conductors are all laying on top of the dirt (Not buried).:roll: I'm wondering if I'm going to be responsible for replacing the feeders, when we are only suppose to be doing a replacement of the meters. Your thoughts! (I guess I'm trying to get an answer I already know :cool:) F later me! :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It doesn't matter what we think it is what the ahj is going to want. As an inspector I would have to decide if this install was permitted or not and go from there. My guess is you may have to clean it up.

resistance

It doesn't matter what we think it is what the ahj is going to want. As an inspector I would have to decide if this install was permitted or not and go from there. My guess is you may have to clean it up.
Exactly!! LOL!! I was hoping some type of subtle manipulative behavior--using our community minds--would happen in my favor..........LOL!! :D

did that make sense......:)

kwired

Electron manager
It is up to the AHJ, my question is if your scope of work is to change meters and not do anything with the feeders why should inspector even need to see under the home? Why should you even need to see it for that matter?

hurk27

Federal Hud requirements will not allow exposed cables under a manufactured home, as they must be installed in a sealed raceway system, but it will depend upon what your scope of work is? If you are there just to replace just the meters or the meter cabinet and service on the poles? I would spell this out in your contract. here a trailer park has to renew its license every 4 years, and to do this a HUD inspector has to inspect each hook up, and require any repairs as needed, so I would approach the owners and tell them what you found but leave it up to them and the inspector as what is your responsibility.

Also keep in mind that these have to have 4-wires into the trailer with an insulated ground, under the latest Hud rules a 3-wire can be run to a disconnect outside the trailer, but a 4-wire must be landed in the trailer from this disconnect, if your local codes some how supersedes HUD codes (not sure how) then the 2008 wont allow the 3-wire except for existing, as HUD CFR 24 3280.800 is based upon the 2005 NEC with amendments

You can access the PDF version of CFR 24 3280.800 HERE

resistance

Thanks for the extra information. I will use it!

@Hurk: It seems our inspector said the three wire is fine, if it was pre-exisiting.

Why should you even need to see it for that matter?
Because some of the wires are too short to reach to the new service location, and before I splice and terminate a feeder, I'm concerned about what I'm splicing to.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the extra information. I will use it!

@Hurk: It seems our inspector said the three wire is fine, if it was pre-exisiting.

Because some of the wires are too short to reach to the new service location, and before I splice and terminate a feeder, I'm concerned about what I'm splicing to.

Are you splicing a feeder or service conductors? If you only have three wires in the feeder I can see an inspector require that to be changed, or if there is no service disconnect before the connection to the mobile home, but if there was four wire feeder, then there is not as much reason to need to know what is at the other end - or at least not every detail in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.