Box sizing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

Consider boxes where the only connected raceways are nipples and the conductors are larger than #6:

The raceways may be smaller than normal conduit runs because of the 60% fill allowance for nipples. In turn, this means the box may be smaller than ones used for longer conduit runs. Interesting, aye?

Before making any condemnations, please understand that I have not advocated using the minimum standard for this application.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The raceways may be smaller than normal conduit runs because of the 60% fill allowance for nipples. In turn, this means the box may be smaller than ones used for longer conduit runs. Interesting, aye?

The box size is the box size regardless of the conduit fill. Did you have a question you are you just making an observation?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Vertex,
I had never thought about what you stated, but I see your point.
Because of the conduit fill rule, 6 #2 (example) could legally be installed in a smaller 23" conduit than the conduit required for a 50 ft run.
I would fall back to Rob's answer.,.. box size is determined by conduit size (actual)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sure these rules have that figured in. It works in reverse also. Suppose you have a 2' pipe with 4-#4 wires. We are still required to use the 2" conduit size for sizing the box. Apparently the wire size has nothing to do with it when it is #4 and larger. I assume the size of the conduit basically is figured for the largest size conductors that could fit in them, thus giving us our box size,

iwire

Staff member
I am sure these rules have that figured in. It works in reverse also. Suppose you have a 2' pipe with 4-#4 wires. We are still required to use the 2" conduit size for sizing the box.

No, not with cable.

You could use a 2" cable connector but if the wires could fit in a 1.5" raceway you could use 1.5" as the multiplier.

BUT further troubles.

What type of raceway do we 'imagine' being used for the cable?

EMT allows the most fill for any size conduit, Schedule 80 PVC the least.

Vertex

The box size is the box size regardless of the conduit fill. Did you have a question you are you just making an observation?

I was just making an observation. Sometimes I run exercises in my head using extremes to determine how well a rule works.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was just making an observation. Sometimes I run exercises in my head using extremes to determine how well a rule works.

That's fine. I was just trying to keep things from going off in the wrong direction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.