cable tv grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

WUSKER

Okay guys i got a question, i work for a Time Warner Cable, and recently they explained that we would no longer have to use a ground block or bonding block in our area, instead we could use a splitter and ground there. I can find nothing in the NEC that is clear on this, my experience with grounding for cable lines was that in case of a lighting strike at a house/drop line you would want an isolated ground block and not a splitter as the current could travel down each one of the customers outlets off of that splitter. Is there a clear definition on what the NEC requires of cable companies and there grounding procedures in this case.

Gategator37

I just had a cont. ed class that talked about grounding/bonding of your cable. There is nothing in our code that states this information, just like we are now suppose to supply a bonding terminal for the phone company. That is the phone companies requirement not the NEC's

shepelec

Although it does not specify cable companies, Art 820 does specify ground for coax of a CATV system.

I dont see any difference and I'm sure the lightining wouldn't either.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where would the splitter be located?
820.93(A) Entering Buildings. In installations where the coaxial cable enters the building, the outer conductive shield shall be grounded in accordance with 820.100. The grounding shall be as close as practicable to the point of entrance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just had a cont. ed class that talked about grounding/bonding of your cable. There is nothing in our code that states this information, just like we are now suppose to supply a bonding terminal for the phone company. That is the phone companies requirement not the NEC's
250.94 requires the electrician to provide a bonding point for other systems such and phone or cable.

Article 820 covers the cable system where it enters the building. Like the power and phone utilities, the cable distribution system is not covered by the NEC, but the NEC applies at and in the building.

dereckbc

Staff member
Well i see Don beat me to it. As to your question as to use a ground block or splitter casing for the ground point is irrelevant with respect to NEC requirements. All that matters and required is the shield is bonded at the point of entry into the building.

Sounds like the CATV company is just cutting some cost on installations. Correct me if I am wrong but all the CATV grounding blocks I see for sale are basically a F female splice barrel connector with no active or passive components like SAD's MOV or any type of surge arrestors. They are just basically a convenient splice point to attach a ground wire to facilitate bonding. That being the case it is no different than using the splitter to do the same job, other than less hardware, and one less one less splice point to fail.

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Well i see Don beat me to it. As to your question as to use a ground block or splitter casing for the ground point is irrelevant with respect to NEC requirements. All that matters and required is the shield is bonded at the point of entry into the building.

Sounds like the CATV company is just cutting some cost on installations. Correct me if I am wrong but all the CATV grounding blocks I see for sale are basically a F female splice barrel connector with no active or passive components like SAD's MOV or any type of surge arrestors. They are just basically a convenient splice point to attach a ground wire to facilitate bonding. That being the case it is no different than using the splitter to do the same job, other than less hardware, and one less one less splice point to fail.

Check out this page there is lots of infohttp://www.trilogycoax.com/pdf/catv/construction_manuals/mvp/MVP_Manual_GroundBonding.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.