Wind Turbine Voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Because we are not taking about a 5000 watt pull start genny. :)

It is not like there can be a lag between the wind stopping and the other generators picking up the slack, it must happen instantly.

So in a steam turbine plant you would probably need the turbine standing by at speed and whatever makes the steam has to start really pouring on the coals (or atoms) to keep up with a sudden demand for more more steam.

The wind doesn't usually stop suddenly, so I would think there would be time to get other gens on line.

dbuckley

Why isn't it that simple?
Its mostly down to inertia of the other plant.

Its generally regarded that you can't have more than (depending on many things) something like 10% - 20% of your generation supplied by wind, due to the discontinuous nature of wind.

There are ways around this, particularly with small systems (ie a few KW) by using storage and/or making the load match the energy available, but on grid generation scale, the problems are very real.

Still, even 10% is a lot more wind than most areas have.

Buckminster Fuller is on record as saying if you had a small wind generator atop every transmission tower then you could power America thrice over. Mind you, that was a few years back...

brian john

I actually find wind turbines to be beautiful things, and would quite like to have them not too far away...

Having been involved in a two condemnations, I know what it means to have something built near you that is against your personal feelings of what's right.

But I have to agree, I love watching wind mills as they spin around. I find them somewhat beautiful, relaxing and VERY intriguing and make interesting subjects for photography.

tedge

The wind doesn't usually stop suddenly, so I would think there would be time to get other gens on line.

It may not stop completely in a sudden manner, but it rarely blows in a steady fashion for any period of time.

There are 3 turbines on an island that I can see as I drive down the main drag in town, and I have to admit that they have their own sort of beauty. However, I don't need to see them in every direction on every mountaintop.

Many of the residents of the island are not happy with them either, for many reasons.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Why? Because coal is a finite material and it is very damaging to the ecosystem to mine it and to burn it. And with nuclear, you have the problem with storage of radioactive waste for 25,000 years! (Catastrophe waiting to happen!)

When both coal and nuclear were in their developmental stages, were there no taxpayer subsidies involved? I don't know the answer, but I'm assuming there was.

I imagine the Manhattan Project had a little to do with nuclear development. Coal has been used since before there were governments to tax and subsidize anything. The dangers of both are over stated in my opinion. Not that this matters.

Zog and dereckbc got it right in posts 2 and 3.
Reality is, you've got two sources of energy able to meet the demand of any industrial economy- hydrocarbon and nuclear. China and Mexico are going to use coal and there power plants pollute more than ours. Europe and India are going nuclear.

The Stone Age didn't end due to a lack of rocks. Subsidizing the use of wind won't help it overcome it's shortcomings.

dbuckley

The Stone Age didn't end due to a lack of rocks. Subsidizing the use of wind won't help it overcome it's shortcomings.
These are both very true statements.

But the age of burning coal will end one day, and if its not because we've found some energy source presently usefully unknown to us that makes us not want to burn coal, then it will be when coal becomes unavailable to us.

Still, petroleum will be scarce long before coal, so we'll have a chance to practice our mindset long before lack of coal is an issue.

dbuckley

I'm not so sure about that. Before petroleum we were slaughtering whales by the mega tons. The industry died out before their extinction.
Thats because we found something better.

Currently we dont have a "better" solution for many applications than petroleum based products. The nuclear powered bus made a great movie, but I'm far from convinced they'll ever be running regular services.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
It's been 35+ years since I worked for the POCO (Duke Power, fwiw), but I was in the Steam Production Department. If I have a cold turbine (not spinning via steam), it took multiple hours (slower was better to minimize stresses, over a day was not unusual) to get it up to 100% power. If it is at (say) 25% power (not very efficient), it would probalby take an hour to get to 100%.

I was in an old fossil plant as our 1st 3 nuclear units came online. Because of technical limitations, a reactor cannot cycle between eve 80% and 100% on a short time basis. We had 2 135MW turbines which, until that time, pretty well ran base load (decent efficiency). To support the far more economical full load nuclear, we turned down below 70% at night. Temperature distribution changes with load, and equipment life is affected.

Only hydro is quick, and it is limited.

dereckbc

Staff member
No that is not true and in fact has happened already in TX causing huge black outs to industrial customers who were not impressed or amused.. TX is the largest wind producer in the USA and the world.

The one huge flaw with any RE source is it is highly unreliable. To date all the RE sources built to date have not reduced Co2 emissions one ounce. The reason is because for every watt of RE sources out there you have to have a conventional power plant running in hot standby to replace it at a moments notice. You cannot wait until the RE source fails to fire up the boilers as there is way too much lag time measured in hours, not milli-seconds.

The only thing RE has done so far, is make the users more dependent on on imports and higher prices. Example California. Before California quit constructing conventional power plants some 15 years they imported roughly 12% of their electricity from neighboring states. Today as they only build or allow RE sources to be built with tax payers money, they import +25% of their electricity and the price has more than doubled. California is in deep trouble and they have nobody to blame but themselves. California is not unique as they modeled their energy policy off of German and Spain, and the same results are happening their too. Their economies are devastated, and they cannot afford to compete with other countries.

Last edited:

satcom

No that is not true and in fact has happened already in TX causing huge black outs to industrial customers who were not impressed or amused.. TX is the largest wind producer in the USA and the world.

The one huge flaw with any RE source is it is highly unreliable. To date all the RE sources built to date have not reduced Co2 emissions one ounce. The reason is because for every watt of RE sources out there you have to have a conventional power plant running in hot standby to replace it at a moments notice. You cannot wait until the RE source fails to fire up the boilers as there is way too much lag time measured in hours, not milli-seconds.

The only thing RE has done so far, is make the users more dependent on on imports and higher prices. Example California. Before California quit constructing conventional power plants some 15 years they imported roughly 12% of their electricity from neighboring states. Today as they only build or allow RE sources to be built with tax payers money, they import +25% of their electricity and the price has more than doubled. California is in deep trouble and they have nobody to blame but themselves. California is not unique as they modeled their energy policy off of German and Spain, and the same results are happening their too. Their economies are devastated, and they cannot afford to compete with other countries.

Your post tells it like it is, not how so think it is.

zog

Nuclear baby! Clean, plentiful, cheap, and safe when done right (Like France and Sweeden do it). We produce 780TWh per year in the US, by far the most of any country (But not per capita, we are only #9 there). Currently there are 16 new nuclear plants in various stages of construction in the US, maybe 5 of those will be making power in 10 years.

mkgrady

It's been 35+ years since I worked for the POCO (Duke Power, fwiw), but I was in the Steam Production Department. If I have a cold turbine (not spinning via steam), it took multiple hours (slower was better to minimize stresses, over a day was not unusual) to get it up to 100% power. If it is at (say) 25% power (not very efficient), it would probalby take an hour to get to 100%.

I was in an old fossil plant as our 1st 3 nuclear units came online. Because of technical limitations, a reactor cannot cycle between eve 80% and 100% on a short time basis. We had 2 135MW turbines which, until that time, pretty well ran base load (decent efficiency). To support the far more economical full load nuclear, we turned down below 70% at night. Temperature distribution changes with load, and equipment life is affected.

Only hydro is quick, and it is limited.

These are pretty convincing posts. Thanks for the details. I had no idea Wind Energy was a total waste of money. Does anybody see any value in wind gens?

dbuckley

These are pretty convincing posts. Thanks for the details. I had no idea Wind Energy was a total waste of money. Does anybody see any value in wind gens?

Well, the first one merely echos what I noted above, that baseline plant (coal or nuke) has a lot of inertia, and doesn't respond to changing loads quickly.

The second is less sound; there are many wind plants across the globe that do good service, and do reduce conventional fuel consumption, and generate electricity reliably and cost effectively.

The word again is inertia, and geographic distribution.

If you have 20% wind power generation, humming along nicely, and the wind drops down quite significantly, then the prime power input to the grid will reduce, and thus the frequency will drop as the generation plant slows down, right up to the point where you hit the frequency excursion limit, and then the grid drops to pieces with a cascading blackout.

In many countries (USA included) the grid can't tolerate much of a frequency excursion, so its all rather fragile, and thus you cant have a lot of interruptable generation.

Here in New Zealand we allow our grid to go a long way over or under frequency in emergency situations (4%) and we also have extensive customer load control, so we can drop load quickly if required. Thus if the wind stops blowing here we can accommodate it.

Distribution is the other thing; you want your wind generation all over the place, not just in one place, so that you don't have the whole wind contribution just disappear.

Wind is far from a perfect source of energy for electrical generation, but it can and does work, as part of a balanced portfolio of generation prime movers. If you can burn coal for electricity, it is a cheap way to generate power, and on paper, for the USA, should be so for the next few centuries at the present rate of consumption. On the other hand, if the global warmingists are indeed correct, then continuing to burn coal at this rate (globally) is "not sustainable".

mpross

Wind Energy

Wind Energy

Total waste of energy? I would like to see some calculations by any power system planners that are present in the forum before I agree that wind energy is a total waste of energy. More specific- what would be a feasable generation investment plan for the next 40 years (i.e. what generation would you install) considering our nation's current generation fleet and its current age portfolio, and also considering a carbon tax of $20/MTCO2e. Lets also consider any government tax credits, and investor based credits that may be provided. If this is an unreasonable cost, what do you suggest?

Can we also see how wind energy affects load following and regulation generation technologies that are installed in the market based on the region's installed resources? What happens to the load/generation balance and system frequency?

These are some of the questions asked by the Independent System Operators that are governing the reliability of the power system that is in your region.

In my humble opinion wind energy should not be ignored as part of the solution to the nation's energy plan for future generation.

mrp

gar

Occupation
EE
100921-2049 EST

In Michigan we have two resources. Wind and water. Later we may have a whole lot of excess batteries.

I am told that pumped storage is expensive. I am also told that it is relatively efficient.

Currently there is a large area in the thumb area being planned for wind generation. Close by is a lot of water. These need to be combined. ITC is building a transmission line to this area even before the generation capability is present.

tedge

Again, If someone could provide me with real data that supports the use of wind, I'd have a hard time arguing with it. The large majority of the info that's readily available points in the other direction however. And the stuff that I've found that supports it is from pro-wind sources.

I feel strongly that they don't belong in residential areas, unless all affected are willing to put up with the shortcomings.

On the island I mentioned a few posts back, the people were told by the developer that they wouldn't hear the turbines over the ambient noise of the wind in the trees. One year later and the residents within range are about ready to blow them up. The State did a noise study that shows they are in violation of the noise level maximums, but the developer said "OUR experts have done a study that shows we are in compliance..." So nothing happens. Doesn't seem right to me.

mpross

Michigan

Michigan

Hello GAR!

I worked on a couple of the wind projects in the thumb area. I just want to say that the "Thumb" is one of my favorite areas in the whole country, and I have seen quite a bit of the country! Good people and good food!

Take a look at the Department of Energy's EIA website for pumped storage capacity and you will see that it is not a major player in the nation's expected growth (or currently installed technology for that matter) in generation. It is only a small pecentile in capacity.

In Iowa missing Michigan,
Matt

mpross

Real Data

Real Data

tedge,

Please provide real data that contradicts wind as a viable national resource. More specifically data that shows wind doesn't help the country as a whole instead of just your localized area.

best regards,
matt

mpross

biased - sorry

biased - sorry

sorry tedge i am a little biased towards wind as i have worked on wind projects for the past 3 years...

:) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.