Relay with intrinsic low voltage control

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
no category really fits this one so hope this is okay.
I have a circuit I designed for remote control of a 120V signal light. The control loop needed to be low voltage so I have a wee step down transformer to put out 5A max at 24VAC, which feeds to the control switch. A relay activated by the 24V turns on the signal. Pretty simple.

My friend mentioned there is a kind of relay with a built in low voltage control loop. i.e. you hook it up to 120V, and it puts out a low voltage signal, which when connected back to another terminal then closes the relay, switching a line load. No transformer required. Cool!
But the product he mentioned (GE RR3) doesn't seem to do this, from what I can tell.

is he making stuff up here, or is there something to his suggestion?

thanks a bunch

thanks

dicklaxt

Yes there are relays called dry contact input relays.The relay stays energized all the time hanging across a voltage source, a dry contact closure(on/off switch etc) is wired direct to the relay as well.When the initiate contact closes the electronics conduct operating Form C output contacts.The initiate contact can be quite a distance from the relay keeping your 120VAC lighting circuit conductors short.

Do a Google search they will show up,if I think about it in the morning I'll see if I can find one.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.