Nec 422.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regarding 422.12 - we are wiring furnaces and we are using the existing dedicated circuit from the old furnace in residential apartments. there is a condensate pump being installed that plugs in. according to 422.12 exception #1 we can install a receptacle tapped off the same circuit as the furnace for the condensate pump that plugs in. (we installed a duplex receptacle next to the service switch - in a utility closet not requiring gfci protection)
The question is - does this have to be a single receptacle or is a duplex receptacle a legal installation? I have an inspector telling me that I have to install a single receptacle because there will be a receptacle not in use which makes the circuit not dedicated. Further more - in a basement I would have to use a duplex gfci receptacle because I don't think a single gfci receptacle exists.
I think he is over reading into the actual intent of this code. He claims that leaving an open receptacle - someone could come along and plug something else into it. well, you could simply unplug the condensate pump and plug anything into that as well.
It is my opinion that the code does not address this issue therefore it is a legal installation.
He then told me to cut off the plug on the condensate pump and hard wire it or put silicon over the unused receptacle so no one could use it. I think both of those suggestions void the ul listing of those products.
If I installed a sticky label that read "receptacles for heating equipment only" would that then satisfy anything?

iwire

Staff member
Sometimes the inspectors in MA are morons, worse than that they make crap up on the spot.

Let me get this straight, in order to correct a 'violation' that is not really a violation he wants you to violate the code in one or two ways?

:mad::mad:

Did the words 'My town' come out of his mouth at least once?

In my opinion there is nothing that requires a single receptacle for the application.

Cutting a cord and hard wiring is violation, filling a receptacle with a silicone is a violation.

electricmanscott

While I think it's nonsense the CODE and handbook (I know, save your breath) says otherwise.

NEC said:
Branch circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

NEC Handbook said:
An individual branch cirucuit supplies only one single receptacle for the connection of a single attachment plug.

A branch circuit that supplies one duplex receptacle that supplies two cord and plug connected appliances or similar equipment is not an individual branch circuit.

So on one hand you are only plugging in one piece of equipment so you are technically legal I guess. On the other hand you have provided a connection point for that circuit that is not supposed to be there.

All that said, the inspector is a real dink.

Good luck figuring this out! :D

CopperTone

if it was only one furnace I might let it go and do it a different way but it is for 100 units and we are half done. I just wonder if I have any NEC back up to throw at him. I am not sure if he has come to the same conclusion as Electricmanscott.

I have callled 2 other inspectors in other towns I know to bounce this off or them and they both said it is not a violation.

If I label the duplex receptacle "for heating equipment use only" would that then make it ok?

422.12 exception #1 allows us to tap off the individual circuit for heat to power equipment used in the heating system. What if the duplex receptacle was for a condensate pump that plugs in and a future piece of equipment for the heating system such as a humudifier that will plug in? then it would be legal in the inspectors mind?

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Pick your battles. If the inspector allows the silicon, just do it and move on. The cost to change it is much more and according to what Scott posted the inspector has a point. Just make sure he will allow it for the ones you haven't completed too.

Edit: Instead of putting silicon in the receptacle openings, how about siliconing a plastic safety cap to the face of the device? Keeps the silicon out of the receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You have only connected one piece of equipment. If and when someone adds another then he can come and complain. Till then, IMO, he is barking up the wrong tree. What is he afraid of? If someone plugs something else in and it trips the breaker they will know that won't fly.

kwired

Electron manager
Putting in a single receptacle to prevent plugging other items into the circuit does not work. I have seen many triple taps, power bars, etc. plugged into single receptacles that were intended for a single utilization equipment. At the very least you should put another receptacle nearby so they hopefully use it instead.I have also seen condensate pumps with cord cap removed and wired into furnace. This is not a NEC compliant way to connect them. For those who are afraid of the unit being unplugged or a GFCI tripping and having the condensate flood the area, every one of these pumps comes with a limit switch to shut down the HVAC equipment if the resevoir is full, but I never see it connected. That is what the two wires sticking out of the unit are for.

electricmanscott

While I think it's nonsense the CODE and handbook (I know, save your breath) says otherwise.

So on one hand you are only plugging in one piece of equipment so you are technically legal I guess. On the other hand you have provided a connection point for that circuit that is not supposed to be there.

All that said, the inspector is a real dink.

Good luck figuring this out! :D

What Scott posted was from the handbook and is not what the code says.

shut it! :D

CopperTone

So I have been reading this NEC.

First read 422.12 (exception 1) then read 422.33 (A) then read the definition of "receptacle" in section 100. No where does it mention in 422.12 or 422.33 the words single receptacle or duplex receptacle. This must mean that either one is an acceptable method.

He refused to provide a written code reference and wants the electrical engineer to rework the job specs. I want to appeal to the state but I can't without a written inspection failure citing a code reference. He then hung up on me today because he said he didn't want to talk to me anymore. I called his boss and let him know what was goig on. I feel like filing a complaint with the selectmen in this town.

I don't like putting people down and I am wrong all the time about stuff - but this guy is a real piece of work.

Davis9

Maybe just break the tabs on the receptacle. Sounds like He's gunning for you now with the Engineer request.

Good Luck

Tom

glene77is

Copper,
Why not just put the silicone in the unused portion of the duplex receptical,
and consider this an easy way around this inspector.

I once had an inspector tell me that he wanted to see
all the EGC wires attached to the green screw,
in each overhead lite box (big house with 45 lite boxes),
and he wanted to stand on the floor to see them.
So, I neatly pushed a jillion wires to one side in each overhead lite outlet.
I was done, and so was he. :)

CopperTone

Maybe just break the tabs on the receptacle. Sounds like He's gunning for you now with the Engineer request.

Good Luck

Tom

there are no tabs to break on a gfci receptacle. Gun away I say - he is no better than you or me. He has to live by the same code book we live by.

right is right - wrong is wrong. why should we have to tolerate nonsense?
Most all the inspectors I have ever dealt with are great and very knowledgeable. I call a few of them all the time and bounce questions off them - even if it isn't a job in their town or city. They are happy to help.

Last edited:

Davis9

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regarding 422.12 - we are wiring furnaces and we are using the existing dedicated circuit from the old furnace in residential apartments. there is a condensate pump being installed that plugs in. according to 422.12 exception #1 we can install a receptacle tapped off the same circuit as the furnace for the condensate pump that plugs in. (we installed a duplex receptacle next to the service switch - in a utility closet not requiring gfci protection)
The question is - does this have to be a single receptacle or is a duplex receptacle a legal installation? I have an inspector telling me that I have to install a single receptacle because there will be a receptacle not in use which makes the circuit not dedicated. Further more - in a basement I would have to use a duplex gfci receptacle because I don't think a single gfci receptacle exists.
I think he is over reading into the actual intent of this code. He claims that leaving an open receptacle - someone could come along and plug something else into it. well, you could simply unplug the condensate pump and plug anything into that as well.
It is my opinion that the code does not address this issue therefore it is a legal installation.
He then told me to cut off the plug on the condensate pump and hard wire it or put silicon over the unused receptacle so no one could use it. I think both of those suggestions void the ul listing of those products.
If I installed a sticky label that read "receptacles for heating equipment only" would that then satisfy anything?

What GFCI?

Tom:confused:

Davis9

Just seemed like instead of silicone it would be easier to break the tabs to satisfy him right away.

Tom

Less fight maybe.

Some pumps require/recommend gfci protection though.

Status
Not open for further replies.