Arc flash hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Kind of a dumb question, but what the hey!!! Our guys were racking out a bunch of breakers while wearing a 40 cal flash suit, all was fine until we started racking out the lower breakers. It was very difficutl to keep the hood in place unless you cranked down the adjustment on you hard hat. Does any one have any tricks for keeping the hood in place while bending over?

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
If you take the time to inspect the inside of the arc flash hood, you will see that the face shields are held in place by velcro! That way it is easy to replace them when they get scratched or mangled in some other fashion, like when somewone (it wasn't me, it was a supervisor) who does not know what they are doing sends them out for cleaning, only to find when they were returned that the face shield does not like the heat from the cleaning/drying process and they all needed to be replaced @ about $100.00 apiece.:roll:The hoods also need to be replaced if the velcro is damaged (pulled away from the hood) as repairs are against regulations! Same with the face shields...

krisinjersey

Clothes pins

Clothes pins

I put a pair of clothes pins on the hood where it lays across my back. It keeps the hood from falling forward, and any really agresive movement causes them to pop loose. No holes in the gear, no permanent modifications. I just have to have another guy put them on. I got a whole bag at the dollar stare and threw it in the gear bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.