Multiple feeders to out-building

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

There is a small building being placed on the property which is a distance away from the main building.
They want (3) different type feeders brought to the building. (1) utility only, (1) a feeder from an ATS in the main building which would be utility or gen depending on which is available and lastly (1) UPS feeder.

Does anyone see a problem with bringing three feeders into an outbuilding? The (3) feeders will be terminated into (3) panelboards each with a main breaker. The panelboards will be adjacent to each other.
As long as there are <6 main circuit breakers, is there a problem?

I recall when bringing circuits to a shed at my home, there was an issue with more than one circuit/feeder (although a single multiwire was okay), so we put a small sub-panel with a single main breaker which seemed to make everyone happy. I don't recall the code section that made that an issue.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sounds to me like 225.30(A)(4) would allow it, and perhaps (depending on the nature of the transfer switch) 225.30(A)(2) as well.

wireguy8169

Seems to me that you have your main feed, as well as (2) and (4), so I would think you are not in violation. Could be wrong but that is how I see it by this code section...

225.30 Number of Supplies

Where more than one building
or other structure is on the same property and under
single management, each additional building or other structure
that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load
side of the service disconnecting means shall be supplied
by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in
225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a
multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

(A) Special Conditions. Additional feeders or branch circuits
shall be permitted to supply the following:
(1) Fire pumps
(2) Emergency systems
(3) Legally required standby systems
(4) Optional standby systems
(5) Parallel power production systems
(6) Systems designed for connection to multiple sources of
supply for the purpose of enhanced reliability

Last edited:

wireguy8169

Funny how re reading over and over how things get clearer and I was wrong...so not be wishy washy but this would not apply....because its not feeding the special conditions I referenced. Now if they are then you would be ok.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As long as there are <6 main circuit breakers, is there a problem?
That is not a consideration. If the rule allows you to run a second or third feeder, then feeder is allowed up to six "throws of the hand" as its individual disconnecting means. Reference 225.33(A). In your case, you have three feeders, and each has a single main breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.