Nominal voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

what does nominal voltage really mean?

also what is the word which describes voltages other than nominal, is there one?

thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
"Nominal" essentially means, "name." A system might have a voltage that varies day by day and hour by hour between 117 volts and 123 volts, but "the name of that system" is a "120 volt system." I don't know of any words for voltages other than the nominal ones listed in the code. You could call them, "non-standard," if that serves your purposes.

raider1

Staff member
Like Charlie said, nominal voltage is the "name" voltage of the system such as 120 volts nominal.

The acutal voltage (Which is what I would call anything that is not nominal) would be the voltage that you read with a volt meter.

Chris

STAR87

in my electrical consepts nominal voltage mean the operating voltage of the equipment ...also may be meanthe system normal voltage ..if the country system voltage is 380for 3 phase so the nominal voltage is 380 voltage
i hope that i clear this point..any one have more good wors i would be plessure to hear from him

wireguy8169

I have looked at it as the named voltage 120, 480, or whatever it may be but the measured voltage could and usually in my experience differs slightly (or alot), this I have refered to as acutal or measured voltage.

markstg

How about: Peak, RMS, and average?

I think we need more information as to what is behind the OP question.

Min, Max, Rated, Mean, Normal, Turn-On, Low, High, Medium, Ultra High, Saturation, reverse bias, reverse breakdown, offset, threshold, cutin, peak inverse, instantaneous, effective are other adjatives.

dicklaxt

When used in context as an adverb,adjective or a noun it takes on somewhat of a different definition.:)

Charlie hits it very close, in the electrical world it is meant to mean a mid point value of a rough operating range by the manufacturer or still in an acceptable level for devices to function properly.:cool:

dick

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You might be thinking of this;
  • There is what is called "Distribution Voltage" which is the nominal voltage that is supplied by the utility. For example, 120/240V single phase, 480/277 3 phase 4 wire etc. etc. there are standards that must be adhered to for these, although there are still a lot of "legacy systems" out there that may be outside of the relatively new standards.
  • Then there is what is called the "Equipment Voltage" which is the design voltage level for machines, such as motors. For example a motor that is intended to be used on a Distribution Voltage system of 480V will actually have an Equipment Voltage rating of 460V. This is to allow for voltage drop at the point of use, which may be far away from the distribution system and also allows some play within the various legacy systems.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
By the way, here's a nice little list of Distribution "Nominal" voltages.
Nominal%2BSystem%2BVoltages.JPG

What they are showing as "Nonstandard Nominal System Voltages" also corresponds generally to Equipment Voltages.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... there are still a lot of "legacy systems" out there that may be outside of the relatively new standards.
The "relatively new" nominal voltages have been in existence since around 1968. I know when I was teaching in 1976, I was saying 120/240 and 480V. I have a reference dated 1964 showing 115/230V and 460V, so those people that say 110/220V are extremely out of date.

Poor habits are hard to break (thanks Mr. Mom).

iwire

Staff member

Voltage, Nominal. A nominal value assigned to a circuit or
system for the purpose of conveniently designating its voltage
class (e.g., 120/240 volts, 480Y/277 volts, 600 volts).
The actual voltage at which a circuit operates can vary from
the nominal within a range that permits satisfactory operation
of equipment.

FPN: See ANSI C84.1-2006, Voltage Ratings for Electric
Power Systems and Equipment (60 Hz).

Main Entry: 1nom?i?nal
Pronunciation: \ˈn?-mə-nəl, ˈn?m-nəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English nominalle, from Medieval Latin nominalis, from Latin, of a name, from nomin-, nomen name ? more at name
Date: 15th century
: of, relating to, or being a noun or a word or expression taking a noun construction
a : of, relating to, or constituting a name
b : bearing the name of a person
a : existing or being something in name or form only <nominal head of his party>
b : of, being, or relating to a designated or theoretical size that may vary from the actual : approximate <the pipe's nominal size>
c : trifling, insignificant <his involvement was nominal> <charged only nominal rent>
of a rate of interest
a : equal to the annual rate of simple interest that would obtain if interest were not compounded when in fact it is compounded and paid for periods of less than a year
b : equal to the percentage by which a repaid loan exceeds the principal borrowed with no adjustment made for inflation
: being according to plan : satisfactory <everything was nominal during the launch>

SG-1

also what is the word which describes voltages other than nominal, is there one?

thanks

I think iwire pretty much nailed the meaning of nominal, to the floor.

Test Specifications I have seen & use list voltages as Minimum, Nominal, & Maximum. For a Nominal voltage the other associated voltages would be Minimum & Maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.