Nec 422.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regarding 422.12 - we are wiring furnaces and we are using the existing dedicated circuit from the old furnace in residential apartments. there is a condensate pump being installed that plugs in. according to 422.12 exception #1 we can install a receptacle tapped off the same circuit as the furnace for the condensate pump that plugs in. (we installed a duplex receptacle next to the service switch - in a utility closet not requiring gfci protection)
The question is - does this have to be a single receptacle or is a duplex receptacle a legal installation? I have an inspector telling me that I have to install a single receptacle because there will be a receptacle not in use which makes the circuit not dedicated. Further more - in a basement I would have to use a duplex gfci receptacle because I don't think a single gfci receptacle exists.
I think he is over reading into the actual intent of this code. He claims that leaving an open receptacle - someone could come along and plug something else into it. well, you could simply unplug the condensate pump and plug anything into that as well.
It is my opinion that the code does not address this issue therefore it is a legal installation.
He then told me to cut off the plug on the condensate pump and hard wire it or put silicon over the unused receptacle so no one could use it. I think both of those suggestions void the ul listing of those products.
If I installed a sticky label that read "receptacles for heating equipment only" would that then satisfy anything?
You can file a complaint against this unprofessinal Electricial inspecter.http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/dpl/complaint.pdf
His job is to enforce the NEC/MEC not make up rules so he can get his kicks. If he is failing your job he must give written.You can read that on page 23 of the mass Electricial code. If he doese not give you written notice,He is violating the boards rules,make sure you get his full name and you can look up his license number you will need that for your complaint form.you can look up his license info here.
http://license.reg.state.ma.us/public/licque.asp?color=red&Board=EL

You have him nailed on on unprofessinal conduct and total disregard for the boards rules.Good luck

Last edited:

hurk27

I'm just curious, since the 2008 has removed all exceptions to having a dedicated receptacle in a basement from not being GFCI protected, how would you get by this?

I believe we have discussed a receptacle in a bathroom many times saying no mater what if it is in a bathroom it has to be GFCI protected because there was no exceptions, well the 2008 has now no exceptions for a unfinished basements, just because its on a furnace isn't a reason? I don't see anything in 210.8 that would allow this receptacle unprotected.

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago when I saw a HVAC installer install a receptacle that was switched by the control board on the furnace, would this switching relive the requirement of 210.8?, about the only thing I can think of would be at manufacture level, which would be a manufacture supplying a non-standard receptacle wired to their control board to turn on the pump when the AC would run, same with the humidifier.

422.12 is just allowing auxiliary equipment associated with the heating equipment to be connected to the other wise required dedicated circuit for the heating equipment, and it does not specify how this connection is to take place, but it surely does not trump 210.8

I know this was a common practice back when we had exceptions in 210.8 for basements, but now?:confused:

I think this is a problem that needs addressing between manufactures and the code making panel, as to how this connection can take place without GFCI protection.:cool:

Heres another problem, how about all those plug in shop lights we would install over a work bench in a basement controlled by a wall switch, these too are now required to be GFCI protected.

Last edited:

Hendrix

Putting in a single receptacle to prevent plugging other items into the circuit does not work. I have seen many triple taps, power bars, etc. plugged into single receptacles that were intended for a single utilization equipment. At the very least you should put another receptacle nearby so they hopefully use it instead.I have also seen condensate pumps with cord cap removed and wired into furnace. This is not a NEC compliant way to connect them. For those who are afraid of the unit being unplugged or a GFCI tripping and having the condensate flood the area, every one of these pumps comes with a limit switch to shut down the HVAC equipment if the resevoir is full, but I never see it connected. That is what the two wires sticking out of the unit are for.

Oh, I was looking at those wires on my own furnace just yesterday and wondering what they did :confused:

eprice

Who said it is an unfinished basement?

I presume the receptacle in question is in the mechanical room/space. 210.8(A)(5) defines what it means by unfinished basement and this space seems to fit the definition whether the rest of the basement is finished or not.

John25

residential apartments
[/U]
I presume the receptacle in question is in the mechanical room/space. 210.8(A)(5) defines what it means by unfinished basement and this space seems to fit the definition whether the rest of the basement is finished or not.
Usually apt. furnaces are in a closet in the hallway.

hurk27

Who said it is an unfinished basement?
Didn't catch that in the OP:roll:, just was responding to what others said about using a single receptacle instead of a GFCI.

Only if it is at or below grade see 210.8(A)(2)

eprice

residential apartments
[/U]
Usually apt. furnaces are in a closet in the hallway.

Yes, but in this case, the OP makes a reference to it being in a basement. I guess it's an apartment with a basement

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regarding 422.12 - we are wiring furnaces and we are using the existing dedicated circuit from the old furnace in residential apartments. there is a condensate pump being installed that plugs in. according to 422.12 exception #1 we can install a receptacle tapped off the same circuit as the furnace for the condensate pump that plugs in. (we installed a duplex receptacle next to the service switch - in a utility closet not requiring gfci protection)
The question is - does this have to be a single receptacle or is a duplex receptacle a legal installation? I have an inspector telling me that I have to install a single receptacle because there will be a receptacle not in use which makes the circuit not dedicated. Further more - in a basement I would have to use a duplex gfci receptacle because I don't think a single gfci receptacle exists.
I think he is over reading into the actual intent of this code. He claims that leaving an open receptacle - someone could come along and plug something else into it. well, you could simply unplug the condensate pump and plug anything into that as well.
It is my opinion that the code does not address this issue therefore it is a legal installation.
He then told me to cut off the plug on the condensate pump and hard wire it or put silicon over the unused receptacle so no one could use it. I think both of those suggestions void the ul listing of those products.
If I installed a sticky label that read "receptacles for heating equipment only" would that then satisfy anything?

electricmanscott

there are no tabs to break on a gfci receptacle. Gun away I say - he is no better than you or me. He has to live by the same code book we live by.

right is right - wrong is wrong. why should we have to tolerate nonsense?
Most all the inspectors I have ever dealt with are great and very knowledgeable. I call a few of them all the time and bounce questions off them - even if it isn't a job in their town or city. They are happy to help.

I'm not convinced he's wrong. Not that it matters. :D

CopperTone

I'm not convinced he's wrong. Not that it matters. :D

I may not be convinced either - but what code section could you site?

Again see 422.12 exception 1 , then 422.33 (A) then read definifion of "receptacle" in artice 100.

This inspector has not given any code reference to this issue.

Just to clarify - some units are in unfinished basements - which we planned on installing a duplex gfci receptacle and soem are in utility closets on the living space level whci we were not installing gfci protection but were installing duplex receptacles.

CopperTone

the inspector cited 422.12 and article 100 definition of "individual branch circuit" as the basis for saying that the duplex receptacle is against code.

I still say 422.12 exception #1 - 422.33 (A) and article 100 definition of receptacle allows the installation.

electricmanscott

For what it's worth, the inspector is not alone in his interpretation.

From 9/10 Electrical Contractor Magazine

I am going to install an individual 125v branch circuit in a kitchen of a single family dwelling to serve a cord and plug connected dishwasher. The dishwasher load is 8.5a. My duplex receptacle is rated 15a. Does the NEC permit 14 AWG type NM cable protected by a 15a rated circuit breaker to serve this dishwasher?

An individual branch circuit is defined as a branch circuit that supplies only one piece of utilization equipment. An individual branch circuit cannot supply a duplex receptacle where it would be possible for two loads to be supplied. A single receptacle must be used and must have a rating not less than that of the branch circuit.......

iwire

Staff member
the inspector cited 422.12 and article 100 definition of "individual branch circuit" as the basis for saying that the duplex receptacle is against code.

And he is still wrong.

A receptacle is not utilization equipment, the fact that someone might plug utilization equipment into it in the future is not his concern.

Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies
only one utilization equipment.

shortcircuit2

I'll side with the Inspector on this one.

A duplex receptacle is intended to be utilized by more than 1 piece of equipment.

By installing a duplex receptacle at the furnace for only the condensate pump, leaving one half open and energized, allows the end user easy access to the individual branch circuit intended for the furnace only, a point of connection for other utilization equipment not associated with the heating equipment.

Article 422.12 is intended to prohibit this.

Originally added in the 1990 NEC as 422-7 and later moved to 422-12 in 1999 NEC.
The exception has always allowed connection of directly associated equipment to the individual branch circuit.

shortcircuit

Status
Not open for further replies.