UL98 Disconnect Switch Signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranch

RE: A UL98 listed non-fused disconnect switch between a 460V, 3P, 60Hz motor starter and a submerged pump. The switch serves two purposes, as a junction point close to the water to minimize the length of costly submergible cable and of course a lock out point. I was hoping somewhere between 430.81 to 430.91 I could figure out just what the most effective signage adorning the switch enclosure would be.

What signage would you like to see on the front of this enclosure?

Ranch

Oh yeah - and Spanish/English bilingual

Now I?ll sit back and watch the replies pour in, this inquiry can?t be anything but perfect fodder for the forum . . . no?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
voltage and phase
Fed from Motor Controller LX-2
Located 300 ft west in control building
Do not open under load

Note: You don't need a disconnect for this application, but must have a disconnect within sight of the motor controller than can be locked open.
See 430.102

Ranch

This is good, something that is non-generic, such as the source and it's location. Good point, I often see that missed.

There will be a lockable breaker on the motor control also, in fact two with combined mechanisms as this system is 12 pulse.

Thanks Tom,

Ranch

Well perhaps I'm talking to myself. In addition to our UL / NEC amenable arc flash type danger signage, I'm adding an extra label Monday that will read thus:

PUMP 1 DISCONNECT
460V, 3P, 60HZ, 400A
FED FROM MOTOR CONTROL VFD SYSTEM 111631
LOCATED 20 METRES EAST IN EQUIPMENT ROOM
DO NOT OPEN UNDER LOAD
DO NOT CLOSE UNLESS VFD SYSTEM 111631 IS DE-ENERGIZED

DESCONEXI?N BOMBA 1
460V, 3F, 60HZ, 400A
CONECTADO AL SISTEMA VFD DE CONTROL DE MOTOR 111631
UBICADO 20 METROS AL ESTE EN CUARTO DE EQUIPOS
NO ABRA CUANDO EST? BAJO CARGA
NO CIERRA A MENOS QUE EL SISTEMA VFD 111631 EST? SIN ENERGIA

Now help me out here – installation is in Peru where they appear to adopt UL and NEC. These are big Systems, I don’t need anyone hurt!

Ranch

The essence of what I am trying to get across is that we believe the NEC needs a section on unique system signage. Consider:

Suppose for a moment that someone in the US works projects in countries around the globe, complying for example with the harmonization CE is designed to achieve, and yet the US Project Worker is consulted upon by Internationational Clients about what standards are being implemented. After all, we still manage to export.

In particular, consider our UL governance inside our systems and the NEC on how they connect. Bring them together and you have the likes of IEEE-519 and G5/4 as compliance requirements for exportation. However, these are essential power quality guidelines and safety is what I attempt to bring to forum. (Understandably not mutually exclusive)

Again, my OP is a simple matter of soliciting your opinions of signage for unique systems safety. It’s not to have someone do my work.

We believe the NEC would benefit from a section dedicated to better tagging, labelling, and signage guidelines for unique systems safety. MSHA, our Federal Agency in this country, and other regulatory agencies are in my opinion, ahead of the NEC in this area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.